Happy Friday, SMSers!
OK, so we have officially had more days off this year for things that were not snow; floods, ice, false snow…etc. If you just came to Virginia this year, welcome to our crazy weather. We sent out an e-mail yesterday, which hopefully everyone received as we have juggled a bunch of items due to yesterday’s closure and today’s delay. Highlights…
- Film Festival today at 11:10
- Computer check in and collection today
- Field Day now Monday (rain or shine)
- 6:30 PM Monday night – Drama 7 and 8 performance
- WWII Tree dedication Tuesday @ 11:00
- May/June birthday celebration: Tuesday @ 3:45
From this week, we have a few items to brag on. First and foremost, the 6th grade drama students put on two shows Wednesday evening. The students did an amazing job acting out a play about what mannequins do when people aren’t around and then a Disney version of Law and Order. The plays were fantastic, and it was great to see so many talents on display throughout the evening. We did get through most, but not all, of the exams this week prior to yesterday. A few teachers have e-mailed students if a reschedule was needed. The SMS Film Festival this morning was terrific, as always. The 8th grade students involved in the films put a lot of energy and time into making these pieces, and the hard work was evident during the films.
We also had the results of our SCA election this week. Lots of hard work from those who ran for office, so all who were brave enough to go for it deserve a lot of credit. A huge shout out to our new officers for 2018/2019…
- President: Charlie M.
- Vice-President: Maggie L.
- Secretary: Savannah M.
- Social Director: Brenna S.
We look forward to your leadership next year as you take the reins for the SCA.
Don’t forget the Band Lock-In is tonight! Have fun!
If you have any of your child’s medications left in the clinic an adult may pick up medication any time during school office hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. through June 8th. . Any medication left at the school after this date will be discarded. County school policy does not permit the storage of medication for the next school year.
As this is the final Friday Message of the year, let me just say it has been great to work with you all this year as the temporary AP. I do not have to do a long good-bye as I will still be over in Guidance next year. Thank you all for making this a terrific experience for me. The final week is upon us, so hold on tight. Have a wonderful weekend and stay dry! Here is the daily breakdown…
Next Final Week @ SMS:
Monday, June 4th: Teal Day
6:30 PM: 7th and 8th grade drama performance
Tuesday, June 5th: Black Day
8th Grade class practice for ceremony
11:00: Brill/Briesemeister class trip
11:00: WWII Tree Dedication
3:45 PM: May/June birthday celebration
Wednesday, June 6th: Teal Day
10:00: 6th grade pool party
10:00 AM: 8th Grade Moving On Ceremony (information below)
12:00: 7th grade pool party
Thursday, June 7th: Black Day
1:05 dismissal for students
End of Q4/S2
Have a great summer!
Friday, June 8th: Teacher Work-Day
8th Grade ‘Moving On’ Ceremony Reminders
Next Tuesday, June 5th, the 8th graders will practice for the ceremony itself in the morning. On the following day, all students will need to come to school dressed in their planned outfit. Shortly after the morning announcements, we will begin lining them up for the processional to the gym area for the ceremony. Please review the following guidelines so that this can be a meaningful occasion for our students and their families.
- A prompt arrival is appreciated as the ceremony is slated to start at 10:00am. Please plan to arrive about 10 to 15 minutes early to allow time to find both a parking spot and a seat for the ceremony. Although teachers park on the blacktop to allow parents all available parking places, the logistics ensure that people be flexible, and understand that some people will most likely be walking from a side street.
- As you know, the graduation is a momentous occasion for our departing students and many of them have elderly relatives who will be in attendance for this event. Since the graduation is in the gym with bleacher seating, we kindly ask you to give these guests priority seating on the last several rows of chairs located on center part of the gymnasium floor. Thank you in advance for this courtesy.
- In addition to the graduation certificate given to each student during the ceremony, we have numerous well-deserving students who will be recognized for a variety of awards. In order to conduct the ceremony in a timely fashion, we kindly ask that you hold your applause until all names have been read aloud during instances where more than one student is receiving an award. We greatly appreciate your cooperation with this request.
- We will be reading the individual names of students at a moderate pace, and appreciate your respect for each one of them crossing the stage. After the ceremony itself, we will recess the students first, starting with the back row. Please wait until all the 8th graders have left the gym before following them. Everyone should plan on meeting his, or her student out on the grassy area in front of the school so that we can avoid bottleneck at the exits from the gym.
*Most of our 8th grade teachers will be out there, as well, to say our fond farewells to our 8th grade students as they transition to the high school setting. We wish them all the best of luck and happiness!