Good morning, Sharks –
We have several important pieces of information to share out today as the week we return is a very busy week. This will take a bit as there is a lot of information here, but I have tried to Bold Face the key words for those that scan.
First, we wanted to inform you about a new tutoring program that Sutherland will start right after Thanksgiving Break on Thursday, December 4th. We will provide tutoring in all four core subjects – math, history, science and Language Arts. Tutoring will be available on Tuesdays and Thursdays both before and after school. Our before school tutoring hours will be from 8:15 – 9:00 AM and after school hours will be from 4:15 – 5:00 PM. Students will need to have a ride home promptly at 5:00 PM.
In order to participate, students must sign up for tutoring each week. Parents may sign up a child by calling Mrs. Saulle in Guidance at 434-975-0599 before the day of tutoring. Students may also self-register in Guidance the day before tutoring. Tutoring is open to all grade levels. Students should make sure they come to tutoring with something to work on. It is fine to bring homework from the prior night, notes from class they did not understand, or an in-class assignment they need extra support in. Students that come with no work will be directed to the morning study hall that takes place in the cafeteria. Tutoring will not run if we have an early release or a delayed opening due to weather.
The following schedule can be used as a guide to help you know what options are available:
- Tuesdays from 8:15 – 9:00 AM
- Tuesdays from 4:15 – 5:00 PM
- Thursdays from 8:15 – 9:00 AM:
- Thursdays from 4:15 – 5:00 PM
Second, we have multiple events happening the week we return for parents to note for your calendars as things will move quickly before Winter Break.
- Monday, December 1st: 6:30 PM – PTO Meeting. The PTO has two speakers at this meeting that you should be aware of. From 6:30-7:00pm, Deputy District Attorney Darby Lowe will be discussing cell phones (sexting/texting), technology awareness for parents and cyber bullying. From 7:00 to 7:30pm, SMS guidance counselors Lisa Wright & Cabell Guy will be discuss taking the right classes in middle school and addressing any questions and concerns that parents may have regarding the upcoming scheduling window and how to help your student plan for high school. This talk will focus on all 3 years at Sutherland, and will not be limited to high school registration. Starting at 7:30 PM, the general PTO meeting will take place.
- Wednesday, December 3rd 6:00 – 7:00 PM: 8th grade parent meeting regarding the transition to AHS. This parent meeting is open to both 8th grade students and parents. The focus will be on the registration process for 9th grade classes at AHS. We will have a 30 minute presentation from Mrs. Wright and Mr. Guy in the Gathering Area about the transition process, course offerings, and class registration. From 6:30 – 7:00 PM, representatives will be at Sutherland from the AHS Counseling Department, MESA, Health and Medical Science Academy, and the AHS Gifted Services and Special Education departments to answer questions parents and students may have. We encourage all parents to look at the SMS Counseling Website for information on the registration window for this year: https://sites.google.com/a/k12albemarle.org/sms-counseling-department/
- The Grand Canyon deadline has been extended to 12/12/2014. We will send home flyers regarding the trip with interested students as soon as we return from break.
Sorry for the length, but a lot of events happen that first week in December when we return. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Guy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Lisa Wright at email@example.com. Thanks and have a great vacation!