Happy Friday, Sharks!
Another great week here at Sutherland. We have been able to get into a bunch of classrooms and see the good work taking place. Students in 8th grade are working hard on the cardboard arcade projects. This is an event where Hollymead students get to come over and play games that the 8th grade students have created out of cardboard. 7th grade students have been exploring the scientific method in science class. 6th graders have been starting memoirs in their Language Arts classes and doing a paper airplane lab in science. There is, of course, a lot of buzz in the air today due to the first dance of the year. Needless to say, the 6th graders seem a bit wound up as many of them will attend their first middle school dance. For those staying after for the dance, please remember to have a ride here by 6:00 PM.
Looking ahead to next week, we will hit the end of the first interim period marking 4.5 weeks of school. We also have school picture day on Wednesday of next week during the morning. Wednesday is a busy day as we also have a very cool band concert over at Burley that evening where our 8th grade band and Burley’s 8th grade band will do a joint concert. Last but not least, Friday is a teacher work day, so no school for students. We hope you have a terrific weekend!
Next Week @ SMS:
Monday, September 18th: Teal Day
Tuesday, September 19th: Black Day
Wednesday, September 20th: Teal Day
Day of Caring
School Picture Day
7:00 PM: free Band Concert @ Burley Middle School
Thursday, September 21st: Black Day
End of Interim period # 1
Friday, September 22nd: Teacher work day
No school for students
News from SMS:
- PTO Message:Please turn in your Student Directory Forms to the PTO by Monday, September 18, if you would like to be included! If you need an additional form, please visit the PTO website (can you link to:
If you would like to advertise your business in the Directory, please email Lisa Medders at email@example.com.
- Parents: Please do not forget to complete the student verification page on Parent Portal. We need updated permission forms for yearbook, field trips, etc. as well as parent phone numbers. Thanks!
- Parents: Trying to access your child’s BlackBoard page? Directions can be found here: http://bit.ly/2x0RpWj
- Thanks to all who’ve already signed up to work Book Fair, Sept. 21-Oct. 3. Right now we have about 2/3 of the volunteers we need. If you have any time during those dates and could sign up for a slot where there’s no one, that would be most helpful (and would earn you “Thank you” chocolate, of course—there’s always some available for volunteers). We need YOU! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0949a5a72ca64-smsbook5
- Hello Parents, for our film and drama programs, we often try to build background sets using movie flats. We are in need of additional flats to be able to accommodate student needs. We already have most of the materials to build new ones, but are in need of volunteers to do the construction. The process is fairly straight forward requiring measurement, cutting of lumber, and drilling of screws. The construction could take place in our tech room where a large work table is available; however, due to liability issues we would need volunteers to provide their own tools (power saw and drill would be helpful).
Ideally, we need 4 additional flats, 2 plain, one with a door, and the other with a window. If anyone would be interested in helping us out or if you have questions about the project, please contact Diana McCullough at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8th Grade Team News: First Dance! The 8th grade team is excited to be hosting the first dance of the school year! We hope ALL Sutherland students are planning to attend the event. Monies generated by the dance are used to help offset the costs of our Busch Gardens field trip, and to finance other activities provided to our 8th MANY thanks to the parents who have signed up to help us with the event. These types of activities require both teachers and parent volunteers, in order to be a success.
Busch Gardens update: The 8th grade teachers would like to thank our parents for their promptness in returning the permission forms for our annual field trip. Earlier this week, notices related to scholarship and parent chaperone requests were sent home via the applicable students. If you signed up to be a chaperone, please sign and have your student return the form to Mrs. Rainey in room C-2 by Monday morning, as we are finalizing our head count to ensure that we have bus seats, and Busch Gardens tickets, for everyone going on the trip. Please remember that all parent chaperones are required to ride the bus to and from Busch Gardens in order to supervise their student group. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation with this request. Please contact Mrs. Rainey if you did not receive applicable paperwork, or if you have any questions regarding this process. (Phone: 975-0599 ext#310, or email at email@example.com)
We will distribute via students, and post online, a one page flyer next week with important information and reminders regarding the details of the trip. Please know that the 8th grade team greatly enjoys working with your students and is looking forward to taking them on this annual class field trip.