Happy Thursday, Sharks!
A bit early this week as I am out of the building tomorrow, which is quite disappointing as I love the cardboard arcade. The games the students have worked on this year are fantastic, so I expect the Hollymead students will have a real treat tomorrow. This week, our basketball teams started their games. The various teams played Walton on Tuesday, and then Burley last night. We have a great group of players, and it was terrific to see so many students and parents make it to the games. Tonight, we have the first round of Parent/Teacher Conferences from 4:30 – 8:00 PM. We have locked the sign-up for tonight to give teachers time to prepare for the conferences, but there are still spaces open for next Tuesday. Those can be found on the SMS website. Those conference sign-ups will be closed Monday by noon. The staff would also like to take a moment to thank our very generous PTO for taking care of our dinner this evening. It is terrific to know how supportive you all are, so thank you.
Next week’s theme seems to be field trips – both small and large. We have a science class trip to PVCC, a group heading to the Writer’s Eye trip at UVA, a robotics field trip, and then the whole 8th grade heads to Busch Gardens Howl-O-Scream trip on Friday. Lots of great activities coming up! Just as a reminder, we have a High School 2020 parent meeting here at Sutherland on October 24th starting at 6:30 PM regarding the changes coming for all students in regards to their high school experience for next year. We do encourage folks to attend since these changes affect all of our students as they prepare for high school.
Lots of announcements below. We hope you have a terrific Friday and enjoy a wonderful Fall weekend. On with the news…
Next Week @ SMS:
Monday, October 9th: Teal Day
Normal school day
Tuesday, October 10th: Black Day
Mrs. Percival’s class trip to PVCC
4:30 – 8:00 PM: Parent/Teacher Conferences
Wednesday, October 11th: Teal Day
8th Grade Robotics field trip
5:00 – 8:00 PM: Boys’ basketball game @ Henley
Thursday, October 12th: Black Day
10:30 AM – 2:00 PM: Mrs. McCullough’s Writer’s Eye trip to UVA
5:00 – 8:00 PM: Girls’ basketball games @ Sutherland
Friday, October 13th: Teal Day
7:15 AM – 8:00 PM: 8th grade trip to Busch Gardens (side note: a Friday the 13th trip to Howl-O-Scream? Excellent!!!)
News from SMS:
- Have I already said how great our PTO is? One of their main fundraisers to help support our students and staff is the Attraction’s Book. Don’t forget to order yours today! You can order online at https://www.attractionsbook.com/ezpay. The EZPAY code is Sutherland. Each book is $25 and contains thousands of dollars of savings.
- Speaking of the PTO… It’s time to start cleaning out your closets! Our Annual Yard Sale will be on Saturday, November 4th! We will be collecting donations on Friday November 3 from 5-8. All money earned will go directly back to our school! We take most anything but not limited to gently used clothes, furniture, toys, games, books, jewelry, sports equipment, cookware, and shoes. We will send out more information in the coming weeks but want you to start saving items to donate! Questions? contact Lynette Sanford at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regarding AM Study Hall: We have reminded our students, but can use your help with reinforcement. If students arrive to school prior to 8:45 AM, we have a morning study hall in the cafeteria. The basketball courts and sports fields are “off bounds” during this time as we have no adult supervision outside.
- Information for 8th grade parents regarding next Friday’s Busch Gardens trip can be found on the SMS website under “ANNOUNCEMENTS”.
- We will be sending home a mailing regarding student verifications. The online version is now closed for the year, so for those who did not complete the InfoSnap update on ParentPortal, we will be mailing home a paper copy to ensure we have updated permission slips (students want to be in the yearbook), emergency contacts, addresses, phone numbers…that sort of thing. Please make sure you complete the document and send it back to SMS with your child. Thanks!
- To Parents of 6th or 7th Graders: Every year Sutherland participates in the Piedmont Regional Science Fair. If this is a project you think your child would be interested in, they need to attend a meeting next Tuesday, October 10, during Chomp. At this meeting, I will be explaining and answering questions about the fair as well as giving them a permission form for you to sign. Note that work on this project will need to be completed at home. News of the meeting is broadcast via the morning announcements and flyers around school. Please let me know if you have any questions. Diana McCullough – Gifted Resource
- Our first official MathCounts meeting will be next Wednesday, the 11th, in room A-4 from 4:10-5:15. If your child is interested in being on the Sutherland team, they should plan to attend this meeting. MathCounts is a national middle school mathematics and problem-solving competition consisting of individual rounds and a team round. Each year, Sutherland sends 10 qualifying students to the Regional Competition with hopes of moving on to State. The competition is tentatively planned for February 10th and is an all-day event. Problems range in difficulty from easy to challenging. Reasons students give for enjoying MathCounts are that no two problems are ever the same, and the depth of problem solving goes well beyond the regular curriculum. If you have any questions, please let me know. Diana McCullough – Gifted Resource
- Hello Parents, this year, Sutherland will be fortunate enough to have a Chess Club. Brandon Adams has volunteered to work with students interested in perfecting their game. Meetings will take place on Thursday mornings before school from 8:00-8:57 location TBD. We will begin next Thursday, October 12th, and once I know the location, I’ll add it to the morning announcements so that students will know. Anyone interested simply needs to show up. A big “Thank you!” to Mr. Adams for making this activity possible. If you have any questions, please let me know. Diana McCullough – Gifted Resource
- Information on the High School 2020 project can be found on the SMS website as well. Look under “ANNOUNCEMENTS”. For those who prefer paper products, we have brochures located in the Counseling Office.
Have a great weekend!