Happy Friday, Shark families!
What a terrific week here at SMS. The big news of the day is that our girls’ basketball team ventured over to Burley yesterday for the championship game after a hard-fought win on Tuesday. They played Henley’s team last night, which was the only team to beat our girls during the season. Our SMS girls ended up winning the championship!!! What an awesome season! We have also had a round of field trips to the Writer’s Eye contest over at UVA again this week, some terrific presentations from our geometry students through Mr. Wamsley’s ELT class, and enough left-over Halloween candy in the second half of the week to make any dentist cringe.
Next week is a bit different as the students have off both Monday and Tuesday. When we return on Wednesday, we have our Honors Band trip to Western Albemarle High School. On Friday of next week, we have the Veteran’s Day spaghetti dinner from 5:30 – 8:00 PM and grades are due that day, so check on PowerSchool to see the most updated version of grades for quarter one.
A reminder we have the October birthday celebration from 3:45 – 4:00 PM today and the PTO’s big Yard Sale here at SMS tomorrow (Saturday) from 8 AM until noon. Have a great weekend and hope your children get lots of rest with the extra days (and time change)!
Next Week @ SMS:
Monday, November 6th: No school for students
Tuesday, November 7th: No school for students
Wednesday, November 8th: Black Day
Honors Band to WAHS
Thursday, November 9th: Teal Day
Friday, November 10th: Black Day
Q1 grades in PowerSchool
5:30 – 8:00 PM: Veterans Dinner
News from SMS:
- Thanks to everyone who supported Book Fair! Because of a Scholastic shipping error, the final Book Fair orders were just delivered last week. When the final tallies came in, the library made a bit over our fundraising goal! I look forward to scheduling a guest speaker and renewing subscriptions with the profits. We couldn’t have done so well without a raft of volunteers who gave generously of their time and brought their own smiles to add to those of our happy, shopping, READING students. Hope to see you soon at the library!
- 2017-18 SMS Student Directories were distributed to CHOMP classes this morning. If your student did not pick one up and/or you need extras, please check in with the front office.
- Attention 8th Grade Parents; Start Something Saturday is November 11th. Do you know a high school student (or 8th grader) interested in starting or joining a passion project? Start Something Saturdayis bringing together students in grades 8-12 from the Charlottesville-Albemarle area for a day of project brainstorming on November 11! Students are invited to bring their ideas or just their interest in creative projects, and by the end of the day, they’ll walk out with a project around something they care about.
- Final Notice: Yard Sale drop off today!!! YARD SALE THIS WEEKEND SATURDAY NOVEMBER 4th AND WE NEED YOUR HELP TO MAKE IT A SUCCESS!DROP OFF YOUR DONATIONS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 3 FROM 5-8PM in the cafeteria. PLEASE SIGN UP HERE TO HELP OUT: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b49aba82e5-annual
- It’s not too late: Just a reminder that we would like to invite all Veterans and Current Members of the Military to join us for a night to thank you for your service! Please sign up your family and put the total number attending in the comment section. There will be a dinner serving group every 30 minutes. Please join us! The dinner is FREE. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e4aaeaa22a3f94-sutherland