Happy Friday, Sharks!
Man, what a week. Finally getting a chance to sit down and write, but it is already 5:00. As I type this, a lot of wonderful volunteers are already hard at work down in the cafeteria setting up for tomorrow’s 8th grade dance. Just a reminder for our 8th grade families, the dinner/dance starts at 5:30 PM and ends at 8. A few parents have asked about what students should wear. There is no formal dress code. Generally, most folks show up in nicer clothes, but you will still see a few pairs of blue jeans paired with a nice shirt. This week, all of our students ran the 5K race, which was terrific to see. Many folks helped with the race and a huge shout out to the PE Department for an outstanding event. Moreover, the kids did a fantastic job training for this event and then pushing through the heat, the mud, and the exhaustion. Great job!
Next week gets a bit busy with events, so make sure you take a look at the weekly calendar and the news blurbs. Again, longer news items this week, so I’ll stop here. Have a great weekend, and for those attending the 8th grade dance, I will see you there.
NEXT WEEK @ SMS:
Monday, April 30th: Black Day
April Birthday Celebration
PTO Timberwood Dining Night Out
Tuesday, May 1st: Teal Day
6:30 PM: Band Boosters meeting
Wednesday, May 2nd: Black Day
4:30 PM: Track Meet @ Walton (see below)
7:00 PM: PTO Meeting
Thursday, May 3rd: Teal Day
7:00 PM: Orchestra Concert @ AHS
Friday, May 4th: Black Day
Jazz Band to Busch Gardens
ICA Day/ ICA Schedule
NEWS FROM SMS:
- Our last ICA Day is coming up next week on Friday 5/4. We have space for a couple more volunteers to help sell snacks at the beginning of the ICA period. Please consider volunteering if you’re able to help, it’s quick and easy! (usually about 45 minutes or less.) Please click here if you’d like to sign up. Once a month, SMS has an ICA Day when the kids can sign up to do fun activities for the last hour of the day. At the start of the ICA period, concessions are sold from snack carts in each grade’s hallway. Each item is $1.50 and the kids will need to bring money if they would like to purchase snacks. This fundraiser helps purchase supplies needed for ICA crafts and activities. If you have any questions please contact Amy Dolak at email@example.com. Thanks!
- SCA is doing a service project for the Albemarle County Police Department. Please consider donating any of the following items to help us:
Boxes of Granola Bars
Snack bags of pretzels, popcorn, mixed nuts, etc.
Bags of candy – any flavor
Bags of mints
Packages of gum
Bundles of 10 pencils
Boxes of Rice Crispy treats
Travel size boxes of Clorox Wipes, ibuprofen or Advil, Emergen C
Travel size tissues
Please have your student bring these to the office or E -5 to Ms. Walkup’s room. Thank you.
We are collecting until May 4th.
- SCA wants to thank everyone who donated to the Food Drive for the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank. Sutherland came in 2nd place with 311 pounds of food donated in the Middle School Category. Thank you for your support.
- Sutherland Track Team Members information: Albemarle County Parks & Recreation Middle School Track Meet @ Walton Middle SchoolWednesday, May 2, 2018 (Rain Date is Thursday, May 3 and 2nd rain date is Monday, May7) *If needed rain makeup info will be posted on Albemarle County Parks & Recreation homepage. The Middle School Track Meet will be on Wednesday, May 2 at Walton Middle School starting around 4:30pm depending when all buses arrive. Order of events: 1600(mile), 100m, 800m, 200m, 400m, relays. Each track members has signed up for 2 events previously in practice, so they should know already. Track members will be transported by School Bus to Walton on Wed 5/2, then parent’s need to pick-up at Walton Middle School by 7pm. No return bus. Parents can drive students to the meet-just let Ms. Davis know if not riding the bus. Track Team members riding the bus will get out of class at 3:30 on Wednesday to pack up and load bus. Students should check for work they will miss. Team members should wear your track shirt to school Wednesday 5/2 (will receive shirt Monday 4/30 at practice) and bring a healthy snack and water bottle.
Directions to Walton Middle School: (4217 Red Hill Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903). From 64, Take Exit 121 to Route 20. Go South on Route 20 for 8 miles. Then right on Route 708/Red Hill Road, school is on right in about 300 yards. The track meet marks the end of the track season, so Monday 4/30 will be the last track practice after school at Sutherland.
- Screenagers Screening: The Sutherland PTO is hosting a viewing of the movie, SCREENAGERS, on Thursday May 3rdfrom 6:30 – 8:30 PM in the SMS Gathering Area. All are invited to attend. Here is a brief write up from the film’s website:
“Are you watching kids scroll through life, with their rapid-fire thumbs and a six-second attention span? Physician and filmmaker Delaney Ruston saw that with her own kids and learned that the average kid spends 6.5 hours a day looking at screens. She wondered about the impact of all this time and about the friction occurring in homes and schools around negotiating screen time—friction she knew all too well. In SCREENAGERS, as with her award-winning documentaries on mental health, Delaney takes a deeply personal approach as she probes into the vulnerable corners of family life, including her own, to explore struggles over social media, video games, academics and internet addiction.”
- PTO Dining Out – Monday: Timberwood is hosting the SMS Dining out night on Monday, 30 April. Take a break from cooking and support SMS!
- PTO Meeting – Tuesday: The last PTO meeting of the 2017-18 school year is here. 😢 We are looking for people to fill a few chair positions. Come join us and see how you can help support our school!! The meeting will be Wednesday, May 2nd at 7pm in the library.