Happy Friday, Sharks!
One week of SOL testing is now in the rear view mirror. Students in all grades did a terrific job taking the Reading SOL on Tuesday and Wednesday. We had a few make-up tests given today, so teachers will start sharing scores with students on Monday. You should have received an e-mail about this process from your child’s Language Arts teacher. Next week, students will take the math SOLs on Tuesday and Wednesday. Traditionally, these tests have been the longer tests in May, so if you have any need for your child to be picked up early those days, be aware that testing can take a bit. During SOL testing, there generally aren’t a lot of school field trips to brag about as so many classes are focused on the tests, but I will say that the pictures coming in from the Orchestra trip today look like the students are having a blast.
One item to really highlight is a huge thank you to the many students and parents who made our staff feel so loved this teacher appreciation week. The PTO was outstanding in organizing treats and meals every day of the week. Students and their families were great at sending messages of thanks to our staff. It truly does take a village, and we are all lucky to have a community that supports us like you all do. So, from all of us to all of you….thank you!
A few news items below. Happy Mother’s Day to all of you out there this weekend. Enjoy the time together!
Next Week @ SMS:
Monday, May 14th: Black Day
AHS Football representatives visit 8th grade lunch
Tuesday, May 15th: Teal Day
7th and 8th grade math SOL
Wednesday, May 16th: Black Day
6th grade math SOL test
4:00 – 8:00 PM: 5th Grade Band instrument try outs
Thursday, May 17th: Teal Day
Friday, May 18th: Black Day
Make-up Math SOL tests
News from SMS:
- Traffic: As the year winds down, please remember to be mindful of the four crosswalks around the school area. There are 2 in front of the building and two on the road before/after the entrance to Hollymead and Sutherland. We have had several concerns brought to our attention about distracted and/or speeding drivers. We work with our students to make sure they use the crosswalks (a work in progress, to be sure), but want to ensure their safety when they cross. Thank you!
- PTO and the Sutherland School Counselors are hosting a “Conversation over Coffee” on May 29 at 8:15 in the SMS Library. This will be a follow up discussion to Screenagers, which was recently shown at Sutherland. We will continue to discuss challenges we all face helping our kids in this digital age, teaching them boundaries, and finding support in each other in teaching our kids how to regulate their technology/social media use. Please feel free to join the conversation even if you weren’t able to attend the screening of the film!
- 8th Grade Parents: Paradigm Break, an Albemarle High School FTC Robotics team, will be here at Sutherland on May 22 from 4:10 to 4:40 after school, location TBD. They are here to recruit new members for next year’s team. If your child is interested in learning what FTC high school robotics is all about and wants to meet the team, plan to have them attend this meeting. The high school students will provide an informal demo and talk, as well as answer any questions students may have. Please contact Mrs. McCullough if you have questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Come to BINGO and TRIVIA night in the SUTHERLAND CAFETERIA on Friday May 18th from 6:30-8pm! All proceeds go to the Destination Imagination Team going to globals in Tennessee! $3.00 for cards and there will be prizes for each round of bingo from local businesses. Snacks will be for sale! Bring your whole family for a fun filled family night out!
- Several of our 7th grade classes will hold a tree dedication ceremony on May 31st at 11:00 AM as part of their unit on WWII and the Holocaust. Parents are welcome to attend.
- The SMS PE team needs volunteers to help with FieldDay! Field day will be all day on June 1, 2018. We are in need of parents to help at the different stations. Thank you so much for helping us make Field Day a huge success. Please use the sign-up genius link to sign up for a spot. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d4bafab2fa2f85-smsfield1 ***RAIN DATE IS JUNE 4th. Please let us know in the comments if you are available if needed. Thank you.