Friday Thursday Message 9/20/18
Happy Thursday, folks! No school for the students tomorrow, so we celebrate this afternoon with the first dance of the year! There has been a lot of excitement today as the students…specifically the 6th graders…get ready to experience their first dance. Just a friendly reminder that students need to have a ride at 6:00 PM. Those who normally walk to school are allowed to walk home after the dance, but we do not allow students to stay after the dance to play basketball to ensure everyone is accounted for.
We are, believe it or not, approaching the mid-point of the first quarter. The first interim period comes on Wednesday next week. Roughly a week after that, teacher grade books should be updated so you can see the most recent scores on Parent Portal. We have a few special events next week listed below, including two class field trips, our first ICA Day, and the start of the SMS book fair. Lots of assorted announcements are below as well, including some much-needed help for Parent/Teacher Conferences, the DI deadline, lacrosse, and Writer’s Eye opportunities.
One final plea…We are only around 40% participation for parent updates for the Student Verification Process through Parent Portal. Once you log on, it can be found at the bottom of the left menu. We need updated addresses, phone numbers, e-mails, etc. for emergency purposes, but also student permissions for things such as the yearbook. Please make sure you take a look and update that section if you have not done so already. It takes about 3 minutes to knock out.
Don’t forget to check the SMS website to sign up for Parent/Teacher Conferences.
Phew. That’s all, folks! Enjoy the time together this weekend!
Coming Up @ Sutherland…
Friday, September 21st: No school for students
Monday, September 24th: Teal Day
Tuesday, September 25th: Black Day
8th Grade ELT field trip
Wednesday, September 26th: Teal Day
End of first Interim period
8th grade band trip
Thursday, September 27th: Black Day
Friday, September 28th: Teal Day
Book Fair begins
ICA Day + ICA Schedule
- The Writer’s Eye fieldtrip for interested sixth and eighth graders will be on October 5th. Any student interested in creative writing is encouraged to participate in this event.
Every year the UVA Art Museum holds a writing competition open to students and adults. They pre-select works of art from their current exhibit and provide tours for interested participants. Students attending the fieldtrip will go on a docent led tour of the museum where they will select a particular work of art as inspiration for a story or poem. Guidelines are given to the students for how to go about this during the tour. Your child submits their writing entry online by November 28th or turns a paper copy in to me by 9:00 AM November 30th. I make sure these entries get to the museum by the 5:00 PM deadline. For more information please see
If your child is interested in participating in this event, they need to stop by room E-1 and pick up a permission form. The completed form and $4.50 bus fee are due to me by September 28th. If you have any questions about this event, contact Diana McCullough at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Destination Imagination Deadline: This is a reminder that any student interested in being on a Destination Imagination team this year needs to turn in their completed form to Diana McCullough by this coming Monday, September 24th. Forms require a parent signature. If you have questions, please email Diana McCullough at email@example.com
- Seminole Lacrosse offering Spring Middle School Lacrosse and various activities during the year. For more information, visit org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- We could really use some volunteers to help sell snacks at the beginning of the ICA period next Friday, September 28th. Please consider volunteering if you’re able to help, it’s quick and easy! (usually about 45 minutes or less.) Please click here if you’d like to sign up. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b4fafaa2c7-20182019
Once a month, SMS has an ICA Day when the kids can sign up to do fun activities for the last hour of the day. Next week it will be on Friday, 9/28/2018. At the start of the ICA period, concessions are sold from snack carts in each grade’s hallway. Each item is $1.50 and the kids will need to bring money if they would like to purchase snacks. This fundraiser helps purchase supplies needed for ICA crafts and activities. If you have any questions please contact Mandy Strider at email@example.com or Miriam Mallow at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
- Sutherland’s Book Fair needs you! The book fair is the only library fundraiser for the year. We have a variety of volunteering opportunities from September 26th-October 4th, including setting up, restocking, and selling. If you’ve never done this before, please do not worry. There’s a very easy cash register that you can learn in about 10 minutes. It’s fun to see the kids aglow with books in their hands. This year, sign-up will be through SignUp Genius:
If you’re not comfortable creating an account or signing up through the SignUp Genius webpage, you can email email@example.com with the shift(s) you’d like and I’ll be happy to sign you up.
- Parent/Teacher conferences are coming up-October 4th & 9th! The PTO would like to provide dinner both nights. Please see the SUG below for the OCTOBER 4th-PIZZA NIGHT signup. Thank you!!
We also need your yummy soup for our second night of conferences dinner on October 9th-SOUP & SALAD. The PTO will provide the salads, but we need your help on the soups! Please see the SUG below to signup! The teachers appreciate you! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d4bafab2fa2f85-sms1