The PE-Sponsored BLACKLIGHT DANCE is this Friday, December 7, from 4pm-6pm, and we need your help to make it a success! Please check out the sign up genius and get ready to glow!
On this “Giving Tuesday,” snag some spirit wear AND support our school! Order now to get that long-sleeve white t-shirt in time for the Blacklight Dance on December 7! Use coupon code “pickup” at checkout to remove the shipping charge. https://shop.jeffersonink.com/product-category/sms/
Calling all Military Families!
Please join us this Thursday the 8th for a spaghetti dinner to celebrate you.
Please click this link to make a reservation. We are serving between 5:30-7:30.
Two Monday items from your PTO:
- All parents/guardians are welcome to attend the PTO meeting THIS Wednesday night, 7pm-8pm, in the library!
- CALLING ALL BAKERS AND VOLUNTEERS! The SMS Yard & Bake Sale is THIS Saturday, 11/10, and we need your help to make it a success! Please note that three lines for volunteer STUDENTS have been added in the Yard Sale sign up ( https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080D4BAFAB2FA2F85-annual ) . And the slots for donated baked goods are unlimited–the more, the better!
Dear Sutherland Families,
8th Grade Civics and Student Council are hosting a Spaghetti Dinner on Thursday, November 8th, We need your help with food and other items to make the dinner a success. Please consider donating something to the dinner.
All donations must be at the school by the end of day on Wednesday, November 7th.
Thank you so much for your help.
Jeff Criscione and Andrea Walkup
Please sign up to help at the SMS PTO Yard Sale! Thank you! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080D4BAFAB2FA2F85-annual
The Busch Gardens trip is upon us! Below is some helpful information about the trip tomorrow.
1. The students and chaperones need to be here at the normal start of school at 9:00. They need to go to the cafeteria so we can get chaperones with groups, take roll, and get on the buses.
2. It looks like we are going to have rain tomorrow. We are recommending boots, ponchos or raincoats, and a change of clothes for the bus ride home.
3. We will be returning to Sutherland between 8:30 and 9:00. Please be here to pick up your child then. Please do not park in front of the school or on the loop or the buses will not be able to get there. We will have the students call when we get to Pantops to let you know we are close.
4. Please make sure your child has either money for lunch and dinner or a packed lunch and/or dinner. We will not be stopping for food on the way home.
5. Students can bring a movie to watch on the bus but it must be G or PG.
6. Students can bring their phones and other electronics but the school is not responsible for them if something happens. They can leave them on the bus as it will be locked while we are there, but again, the school is not responsible for them if something happens.
7. Please have the students bring a Ziploc bag to put their electronics in if they choose to carry them around the park.
8. The students are to be respectful to their chaperones at all times, and if there is a problem, they will stay with a teacher for an appropriate amount of time.
We have our 6th-grade-sponsored Fall Dance coming up on October 12th and need a few brave chaperones to help out in the gym and the cafeteria. Dance shoes not required. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080D4BAFAB2FA2F85-oct12th
Parents of Geometry Students
Your child was given a permission slip for a fieldtrip to Virginia Military Institute this past week. Students will be taking the American Mathematics Contest 8, having lunch, and then going on a tour of the campus. Details are in the letter sent home. Interested students need to bring back signed permission slips by this Friday, October 12th. If you have questions, please contact Diana McCullough at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday Message 10/5/18
From Ms. Wood: This week was a great week at Sutherland. We saw more than two days without rain and students enjoyed their time outside for recess! We celebrated our August and September birthdays with cupcakes and popsicles.
In addition, several of our students have had opportunities to participate in attending field trips this week. Our entire 8th grade had the wonderful opportunity to see Kwame Alexander an award winning author of children’s literature and poetry. Students visited Albemarle High School to listen to him speak and engage in a question and answer session. Many of his titles are available in our library including The Crossover, Booked, Rebound and Out of Wonder, The Playbook, and Swing. Additionally, we had some students visit Writer’s Eye and we had a smaller group of students who visited Northrop Grumman.
Also, we hosted our annual book fair last week and this week. Several students have visited the library and we have used the proceeds to purchase over 24 new books for our library collections. We are planning on using the remaining funds to create a student library council to make book recommendations and library programming suggestions.
I wanted to take the time to thank you all of the parents who helped support this our book fair and provided us dinner for parent conference night.
I hope everyone has a great weekend and is able to continue to enjoy the wonderful weather!
Megan Wood, Principal
Coming Up @ Sutherland…
Monday, October 8th: Teal Day
5:00 PM: SMS Tennis v. Henley
Tuesday, October 9th: Black Day
Tech tour field trip
4:30 – 8:00 PM: Parent/Teacher Conferences (Round 2)
Wednesday, October 10th: Teal Day
8th grade AVID to JMU
5:00 PM: Boys Basketball v. Burley (home game)
5:00 PM: SMS Tennis v. Burley
Thursday, October 11th: Black Day
5:00 PM: Girls Basketball v. Burley (home game)
Friday, October 12th: Teal Day
Matriccino English 7 to UVA for Writer’s Eye
4:00 – 6:00 PM: Dance!
- Holiday season is coming soon. If you or your child is in need of assistance for either Thanksgiving, Christmas, or the holiday season, please contact your child’s counselor.
- We have a Fall Dance coming up on October 12th and need a few brave chaperones to help out in the gym and the cafeteria. Dance shoes not required. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080D4BAFAB2FA2F85-oct12th
- SMS Chess Club Volunteer Needed: Our chess club volunteer (a graduate student at UVA) will not be able to be with us this fall. We are in need of a replacement. If you are a chess player and would like to work with our students on Thursday mornings before school from 8:00-9:00, please contact Mrs. McCullough at email@example.com or 434-975-0599 ext. 53501. She can also answer any questions you may have.
- We need your books! Each year, Mrs. Benham’s homeroom does a book drive to help out the Toy Lift. Donated books need to be in good shape. All homerooms have a donation box where students may drop of their donations. Thanks!
- This Monday, October 8, join us for our first restaurant fundraiser: Timberwood Grill from 4:30pm-11:00pm! All you have to do is eat, drink, and be merry, and they will donate a portion of the total night’s profits to the PTO!
- Can you make soup or gluten-free soup? If so, we need just two more crock pots full for this Tuesday’s (October 9) teacher conference dinners! Sign up here: https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/5080d4bafab2fa2f85-sms1
- Get Your Attractions Coupon Books! We’re halfway to our goal, so please share the online links with friends and family!
*Purchase your books online: https://www.attractionsbook.com/ezpay/code/6652
*See the list of merchants/savings: https://www.attractionsbook.com/store/view/savings/p/3158/Charlottesville+2019
*Remember to use EZ code 6652 for Sutherland, and enter the student’s name so he/she can get a free book after selling 5!
8. BOX TOPS! SCA needs your box tops. Please have your student bring in Box Tops to their Chomps. We are collecting until the 26th.