Happy Friday, Sharks!
It was a short week here at SMS, but the students dug deep and got a whole lot accomplished. The time change tried to throw us off with its shenanigans, but clocks were changed and folks complained as darkness sets in early. Most (but somehow not all) of the Halloween candy seems to have been eaten as the week ends. We had our Honors Band trip this week that took a number of our students out to Western Albemarle High School. 1st quarter grades should be posted in Parent Portal by the end of the school day today. We have our Veteran’s Day Dinner tonight from 5:30 – 8:00 PM. We talked about this on WSMS this morning, but knowing that we have a number of military families here at Sutherland, we here would like to thank all of those who serve or have served (as well as their families) for all that you do. We look forward to spending this evening with many of you.
Looking ahead, we have a full week next week as Thanksgiving Break looms in the distance. Next week is Spirit Week with a pep rally on Friday (as well as a dance). Each day has a specific theme, so see below for more details. We have also started our Mustache Madness fundraiser here at Sutherland to help raise money for cancer research. More details below on what this looks like. Lots of items coming next week, so we wish you all a wonderful weekend. On with the news…
Next Week @ SMS: Spirit Week!
Monday, November 13th: Teal Day
Spirit Week theme: Pajama Day
Tuesday, November 14th: Black Day
Spirit Week theme: Circle of Life Day (dress like a stage of one’s life…toddler – elderly. Or, if you are like me, get The Lion King’s song stuck in your head all day)
McCullough field trip to VMI
6:30 – 7:30 PM: Band Boosters Meeting
Wednesday, November 15th: Teal Day
Spirit Week theme: Team Jersey Day
School pictures retakes
Thursday, November 16th: Black Day
Spirit Week theme: Disney Day
Friday, November 17th: Teal Day
Spirit Week theme: Wacky Tacky Tie Day (Nice…I am ready!)
ICA schedule – 3:00 PM Pep Rally
4:00 – 6:00 PM: Dance!
News from SMS:
- No-Shave November has started here at SMS! Folks new to the building may notice that the teachers have started looking a bit scruffy as the cold weather sets in. This is all for a good cause! Each year, we host a fundraiser that culminates with a corn hole tournament where parents and students can sign up to try and claim the golden belt. This year’s tournament will take place after school on Friday, December 1st. All proceeds from this tournament go straight to the HEADstrong Foundation to help support cancer research. For every milestone we hit with donations, one of our SMS Staff members must either shave something ridiculous into their beards, or dye their hair. This is a great event here at SMS, so we hope many of you can attend on December 1st.
- Sutherland Library 2nd notices were emailed to students (with prices as necessary) on Thursday, Nov. 9. Please check with your student and help him/her return, replace, or pay for what’s in their k12albemarle.org Gmail overdue/LOST/damaged book notice as soon as possible. Thank you!
- We are in search of a few brave parents and guardians who love all the sights and smells when chaperoning a middle school dance! Next Friday, the 6th grade team will host their dance from 4 – 6 PM and need a few extra pair of adult eyes. Any and all interested parties can go to this sign-up to help out that evening. Thanks! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d4bafab2fa2f85-nov17th
- Thank you to all who made the yard sale a success! We earned $1200 for the PTO to use for our teachers!! Thank you to all those who donated items, donated their time to work the sale, and donated their baked goods and drinks to make this a great event! We appreciate all of you!!
Happy Friday, Shark families!
What a terrific week here at SMS. The big news of the day is that our girls’ basketball team ventured over to Burley yesterday for the championship game after a hard-fought win on Tuesday. They played Henley’s team last night, which was the only team to beat our girls during the season. Our SMS girls ended up winning the championship!!! What an awesome season! We have also had a round of field trips to the Writer’s Eye contest over at UVA again this week, some terrific presentations from our geometry students through Mr. Wamsley’s ELT class, and enough left-over Halloween candy in the second half of the week to make any dentist cringe.
Next week is a bit different as the students have off both Monday and Tuesday. When we return on Wednesday, we have our Honors Band trip to Western Albemarle High School. On Friday of next week, we have the Veteran’s Day spaghetti dinner from 5:30 – 8:00 PM and grades are due that day, so check on PowerSchool to see the most updated version of grades for quarter one.
A reminder we have the October birthday celebration from 3:45 – 4:00 PM today and the PTO’s big Yard Sale here at SMS tomorrow (Saturday) from 8 AM until noon. Have a great weekend and hope your children get lots of rest with the extra days (and time change)!
Next Week @ SMS:
Monday, November 6th: No school for students
Tuesday, November 7th: No school for students
Wednesday, November 8th: Black Day
Honors Band to WAHS
Thursday, November 9th: Teal Day
Friday, November 10th: Black Day
Q1 grades in PowerSchool
5:30 – 8:00 PM: Veterans Dinner
News from SMS:
- Thanks to everyone who supported Book Fair! Because of a Scholastic shipping error, the final Book Fair orders were just delivered last week. When the final tallies came in, the library made a bit over our fundraising goal! I look forward to scheduling a guest speaker and renewing subscriptions with the profits. We couldn’t have done so well without a raft of volunteers who gave generously of their time and brought their own smiles to add to those of our happy, shopping, READING students. Hope to see you soon at the library!
- 2017-18 SMS Student Directories were distributed to CHOMP classes this morning. If your student did not pick one up and/or you need extras, please check in with the front office.
- Attention 8th Grade Parents; Start Something Saturday is November 11th. Do you know a high school student (or 8th grader) interested in starting or joining a passion project? Start Something Saturdayis bringing together students in grades 8-12 from the Charlottesville-Albemarle area for a day of project brainstorming on November 11! Students are invited to bring their ideas or just their interest in creative projects, and by the end of the day, they’ll walk out with a project around something they care about.
- Final Notice: Yard Sale drop off today!!! YARD SALE THIS WEEKEND SATURDAY NOVEMBER 4th AND WE NEED YOUR HELP TO MAKE IT A SUCCESS!DROP OFF YOUR DONATIONS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 3 FROM 5-8PM in the cafeteria. PLEASE SIGN UP HERE TO HELP OUT: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b49aba82e5-annual
- It’s not too late: Just a reminder that we would like to invite all Veterans and Current Members of the Military to join us for a night to thank you for your service! Please sign up your family and put the total number attending in the comment section. There will be a dinner serving group every 30 minutes. Please join us! The dinner is FREE. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e4aaeaa22a3f94-sutherland
Just a reminder that we would like to invite all Veterans and Current Members of the Military to join us for a night to thank you for your service! Please sign up your family and put the total number attending in the comment section. There will be a dinner serving group every 30 minutes. Please join us! The dinner is FREE.
YARD SALE THIS WEEKEND SATURDAY NOVEMBER 4th AND WE NEED YOUR HELP TO MAKE IT A SUCCESS!
DROP OFF YOUR DONATIONS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 3 FROM 5-8PM in the cafeteria
PLEASE SIGN UP HERE TO HELP OUT:
questions: email Lynette Sanford firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents of 8th graders: Information will be forthcoming about the registration process for 9th grade, but there are some dates coming up that you may want to be aware of. Today, the academy directors came to SMS to talk with all 8th graders about MESA, HMSA, and ESA Academies. Right on the heels of that visit, all 3 academies will begin hosting their open houses at the high schools. Applications for all 3 academies will be available @ 4:00 on November 27, 2017. Applications are due on January 26, 2018. Applications and more specific instructions for submitting them can be found on the website for any of the academies.
Happy Friday, Sharks!
Hopefully, folks are enjoying the weekend before Halloween. All of the students are off today and the building is eerily quiet as we start to get ready for the start of the second quarter. Hard to believe that nine weeks of the school year are already in the rear view mirror. We had a lot of after school and in-school events this week. Our basketball season is winding down, so we had several great home games this week. We had a full house at the High School 2022 meeting on Tuesday night as folks from downtown and parents started to discuss what the high schools might look like over the next four years. During the school day this week, we had the Writer’s Eye field trips for some our 7th grade students, the school climate survey, and an ICA schedule yesterday so students could close out the week with a little fun. Plus, a wonderful donut day yesterday from our spectacular PTO.
As we head into next week, we have a few calendar events to keep in mind. Tuesday will be a modified schedule allowing for our Chomp homerooms to have some fun at the end of the day. Each homeroom should have a theme for the day. Classes will be shortened allowing for a 90-minute block at the end of the school day for the Chomps to come together for a few activities. Standard rule applies: if you are picking up between 2:30 – 4:00 PM, allow a bit of extra time for dismissal. Next week, we have the all-county choir trip on Thursday and our October birthday celebration on Friday. The PTO also has a busy week with a PTO meeting on Wednesday from 7:00 – 8:00 PM, the Yard Sale drop off here at SMS on Friday from 5:00 – 8:00 PM, and then the yearly SMS Yard Sale starting at 8:00 AM on Saturday. Looks to be a great Halloween week! Have a terrific weekend and on with the news…
Next Week @ SMS:
Monday, October 30th: Teal Day
5:00 – 8:00 PM: Girls’ Basketball Tournament @ Burley Middle
Tuesday, October 31st: Black Day
2:30 – 4:00 PM: CHOMP activity schedule
Wednesday, November 1st: Teal Day
Ms. Harris’s class trip to UVA
5:00 – 8:00 PM: Boys’ Basketball Tournament @ Burley Middle
7:00 – 8:00 PM: PTO meeting
Thursday, October 2nd: Black Day
All-County Honors Choir trip to C-ville High School
5:00 – 8:00 PM: Boys’ and Girls’ championship games @ Burley Middle
Friday, October 3rd: Teal Day
3:45 PM: October Birthday Celebration
5:00 – 8:00 PM: Yard Sale drop off
Saturday, October 4th:
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM: SMS PTO Yard Sale
News from SMS:
- It’s time for our Annual PTO Yard Saleon Saturday November 3rd!! All proceeds come right back to the school!! We will be collecting donations on Friday November 3 from 5-8 pm in the Sutherland Cafeteria. Please clean out those closets and send in gently used items!! We are always looking for furniture, clothes, toys, games, books, household goods, tools and other items you would like to donate. We also need YOUR help to make it a success.
- Want to start your Friday off in a relaxing and attention focusing way? Every Friday there is a Mindful Morning group for all interested Sutherland students – we meet in the library. Students are welcome to arrive as early as 8am, we will start at 8:15, and we will finish before first bell – SNACKS provided! You are welcome to bring any of your Sutherland friends. We will do movement like stretching and balance and sometimes add other activities like drumming. We will do some mindful awareness practices, focused on noticing our thoughts and the present moment. We also hope to connect with other students at other schools who do similar activities and possibly go on field trips. No experience necessary. This is a great, healthy way for all of us to start each Friday. This is a drop in class without long term commitment, students are welcome to come any Friday that works. Any questions or comments, let me know. Kindly, Mr. Matriccino
Have a terrific Halloween weekend everyone!!!
Happy Friday, Sharks!
You know Halloween is starting to get close when you start seeing unicorn horns and jester hats on the 6th graders as they walk down the halls. It has been an awesome week here at SMS. We have had some great basketball games, counseling lessons, a lot of terrific weather which allowed for some fun outside during CHOMP today, and a few all-county events where a few of our students got to showcase their talents. Of course, the buzz around school today was the dance from 4:00 – 6:00 PM.
Two events next week to keep in mind: we have the school climate survey on either Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on CHOMP teacher’s choice). This is the one we use to gauge how our school is doing in terms of safety, bullying, homework load, classwork, etc. We also have the High School 2022 meeting here Tuesday night from 6:30 – 7:30 PM where a lot of information will be shared about the changes coming from the state level that will affect all of our students as they prepare to enter high school. I expect between that meeting (which is a public meeting open to all 5 middle schools) and the basketball game that there will be some parking issues, so be prepared.
That’s it for this week. A reminder that next week is a short week for the students. Thanks all and have a great weekend!
Next Week @ SMS:
Monday, October 23rd: Teal Day
School climate lesson in CHOMP
Tuesday, October 24th: Black Day
School climate lesson in CHOMP
5:00 – 8:00 PM: girls’ basketball home game
6:30 – 7:30 PM: High School 2020 Parent Meeting (click link for more information) Please note: We expect a crowd, so parking may be tight this evening.
Wednesday, October 25th: Teal Day
School climate lesson in CHOMP
5:00 – 8:00: boys’ basketball home game
Thursday, October 26th: Black Day
Mr. Matriccino’s class to UVA for Writer’s Eye
Friday, October 27th: Teacher Work Day
No school for students
News from SMS:
- School Counseling has been busy this week, spending time in 8th grade classrooms. Using Naviance, a comprehensive career and college planning tool used by all Albemarle County students in grades 6-12, Wright and Ms. Lindsay demonstrated the various tools that students have available to them in this program. During this lesson, the 8th graders completed the StrengthsExplorer assessment, to help students identify his/her unique strengths and talents. Through this exercise, students can reflect on how those strengths can help with goal setting, how they use their strengths in daily activities (including academics), and how to further use their strengths to develop new skills. For more information about Naviance, check out the county’s website here. Parents can access Naviance, too! For a visual guide to learn how to do that, please look at our SMS counseling webpage: Naviance presentation
- Harris’ classes (Blocks 1,3,4) field trip to Fralin Art Museum, UVA on 11/1 from 10:15-2:00 p.m.
- Uncle Jerry’s Tees 7th grade Fundraiser is ongoing until October 24th. ANYONE CAN PURCHASE: If you’d like to look and purchase, here is the site and Code:
To credit a student or organization
Code: 1156 Or call to place order: 1-800-556-2887
The funds made from these sales will assist us in planning the annual pool party for the entire grade.
Thank you from the 7th Grade Team
- Once a month, SMS has an ICA Day when the kids can sign up to do fun activities for the last hour of the day. Next week it will be on Thursday 10/26/17. At the beginning of the ICA period, concessions are sold from snack carts in each grade’s hallway. Each item is $1.50 and the kids will need to bring money if they would like to purchase snacks. This is a fundraiser for supplies needed for ICA crafts and activities. Please consider volunteering to help with selling these snacks. It’s a quick, easy way to help the school (usually about 45 minutes or less.) Please click here if you’d like to sign up. If you have any questions please contact Amy Dolak at email@example.com. Thanks!
- It’s time for our Annual PTO Yard Sale on Saturday November 3rd!! All proceeds come right back to the school!! We will be collecting donations on Friday November 3 from 5-8 pm in the Sutherland Cafeteria. Please clean out those closets and send in gently used items!! We are always looking for furniture, clothes, toys, games, books, household goods, tools and other items you would like to donate. We also need YOUR help to make it a success.
Sutherland Military Appreciation Spaghetti Dinner
Did you know Veterans Day is coming up in November?
The Sutherland SCA would like to help our school show its appreciation to veterans for their service with a Military Appreciation Spaghetti Dinner for members of our Sutherland family who have served or are currently serving in the military on Friday, November 10, from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m.
This dinner is FREE for veterans, military personnel, and their families.
If you have a brother, sister, mom, dad, grandparent, or other close family member who served or is currently serving in the military, please join us and allow us to show our appreciation by serving you dinner on November 10.
Sign-up is easy! On the Sutherland web page, click on the link for Spaghetti Dinner – Military Appreciation under the Announcements tab. We are seating every half hour starting at 5:30 p.m. Simply select a time slot, enter your family’s name for that time slot, and indicate how many people will be attending the dinner for your family. We just need to know how many will be joining us, so be sure to sign up and we will do the rest! The deadline for signing up for the dinner is October 31st so get your reservation in now.
We will be offering a menu of spaghetti, meatballs, salad, garlic bread, and a dessert. So forget about the hassle of dinner for a night on November 10 and allow us to show the veterans in your family our appreciation.
The Uncle Jerry’s Tees checks and forms are due to Ms. Harris during the day of October 17th. The merchandise from this fundraiser will arrive within about a two week period and will be distributed to your student during fourth block.
Thank you for supporting the seventh grade in their fundraising for the pool trip at the end of the year.
Happy Friday the 13th, Sharks!
What a great week here at Sutherland. We have made our way through Parent/Teacher Conferences where the PTO treated us to an awesome chili dinner (thanks, all!). We had two nights in a row of basketball where our SMS teams continued to do well. Today, despite the dreary weather, we have the 8th grade Busch Gardens trip. The busses rolled out of Sutherland this morning, and the students, parents, and teachers are anticipating a great day at the park, rain or shine! The student will not leave the park until 6:00 pm. Typically, we instruct students to text or call their parents when they are on Pantops, so that you can plan to pick them up in a timely manner.
Looking ahead to next week, we have All-County Drama and All-County Orchestra field trips. We also have our second dance of the year. We have a number of events coming up, including next week’s dance, that need some parent help, so please review the announcements below for lots of information.
That’s all for now, folks. Have a terrific weekend!
Next Week @ SMS:
Monday, October 16th: Black Day
Tuesday, October 17th: Teal Day
Wednesday, October 18th: Black Day
AVID 7 field trip
All-County Drama @ MHS
Thursday, October 19th: Teal Day
7:00 PM: All County Orchestra Concert @ MHS
Friday, October 20th: Black Day
4:00 – 6:00 PM: DANCE!
News from SMS:
- Attention Parents & Guardians, each year, we administer several surveys to our students to check on issues like school climate, bullying, homework, etc. The data we gather from these surveys helps us steer our school in terms of areas of improvement. We will administer the first of these surveys on October 24th. As part of this survey, we also include questions about those who are victims of bullying here at Sutherland. This portion of the survey is a county-wide initiative and there is some literature about this portion of the survey. For more information, you can use these links:
- It’s time for our Annual PTO Yard Sale on Saturday November 3rd!! All proceeds come right back to the school!! We will be collecting donations on Friday November 3 from 5-8pm in the Sutherland Cafeteria. Please clean out those closets and send in gently used items!! We are always looking for furniture, clothes, toys, games, books, household goods, tools and other items you would like to donate. We also need YOUR help to make it a success. If you can help please sign up using this link SignUpGenius.com/go/30E0B49ABA82E5-annual Any questions? Email Lynette Sanford at firstname.lastname@example.org
- SCA will be selling Fall Candy Grams from October 19 – October 25th. Please help support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Send your friends or favorite teacher a candy gram and help a great cause.
- SCA is collecting BOX TOPS! Please send in your box tops with your student. Every year the money earned by redeeming box tops earns the PTO and school about $2000.00. We would love your support in helping us reach that amount this year too. Please send in Box Tops now through October 25th.
- We have a dance coming up on October 20th and need chaperones. For those interested, http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d4bafab2fa2f85-oct20dance
Have a great weekend!