Happy Friday, Sharks:
We have had a wonderful week here at Sutherland. The week started with our SCA elections. Students enjoyed hearing from the different candidates and voting for this year’s officers. A big shout out to those students who were elected into office for this year’s council. The SCA hosts a variety of activities throughout the year, so we are excited that we have a terrific team for 2014/2015. We have had students from Ms. Bergin’s class sing the Preamble to the Constitution on the WSMS news broadcast, 8th grade students rebuilding a dirt bike in Mr. Bredder’s Engineering class, a Band Booster meeting, and even an earthquake drill. Students are already excited for this afternoon’s dance from 4:00 – 6:00 PM. Things are starting to heat up in all the classes as we head towards the end of the first marking period, so we encourage parents and guardians to check ParentPortal regularly.
News and Notes:
- Parents can now register their child for the Grand Canyon trip this coming summer. The website for registration details can be found here: https://trips.grandclassroom.com/Trip/Index/Sutherland2015. The trip is open to all current 6th, 7th and 8th grade students. There will be a Parent meeting on October 28th at 6 PM here at Sutherland in the Library for parents to learn more about the trip.
- Monday is school picture day. If you order pictures online (https://my.lifetouch.com), you will need the payment code. That code is: SH124413Q1. Our school code is 68600.
- All Sutherland students will participate in a school climate survey starting next week. The survey is short, roughly 15 questions, and will help us measure a variety of topics, including; school safety, bullying, usage of online programs such as ParentPortal, Google Docs., and Blackboard, student-based research in classes, etc. If you would like to see a copy of this survey, a paper copy will be available in Guidance.
A few upcoming events for next week:
- Monday, October 20th: Teal Day. School picture day during PE.
- Tuesday, October 21st: Black Day
- Wednesday, October 22nd: Teal Day
- Thursday, October 23rd: Black Day. End of first nine weeks grading period. All assignments due in class.
- Friday, October 24th: No School for students. Teacher work-day.
One final note: Many of you may be aware of our highly successful design and engineering program now in its second year at our school. Students’ early work centered on use of such technology resources as 3D printers to re-create historical artifacts, such as the first working telegraph. This attracted the attention of the Smithsonian Museum, which is partnered with Sutherland for such projects as a leading edge math and science curriculum for middle schools across the country.
Recently a group of our students proposed a modernization of our engineering classroom and the addition of more technology and learning resources to broaden the benefits of the program.
Our students have enrolled this proposal on “Kickstarter,” which is a web-based application that invites contributions from donors around the country to fund innovative ideas. The cost of their project is $20,000 and funds must be raised within 30 days of listing, or by November 8.
The Kickstarter project, Maker Space, would benefit all of our students in all disciplines. It would encourage students to become producers, not just users, of technology and enable students to improve their creativity, critical thinking, teamwork and communications abilities. This in turn, will better prepare them for post-graduate success, whether in college or the workforce. For more information on the students’ proposal, visit:
Have a great weekend, Sharks! See you next week!