Happy New Year, Sharks!
2015 has rolled on in and our students have (mostly) adjusted to waking up early once again for school. The cold weather came this week. When things get this cold, we don’t take kids outside for break or for PE. Because of that, we had a lot of time indoors this week as winter finally made itself known! Classes are going strong, despite the two weeks off, gearing up for the semester change. This coming week marks the end of the first semester, so be aware of the schedule changes that come with electives or core classes on January 21st. Our morning/afternoon tutoring sessions continue to be popular. Please remember to call Mrs. Saulle in Guidance to schedule a time for your child if interested. This morning, several of our Sharks participated in the Geography Bee in our Media Center. Needless to say, our students’ knowledge in all things geographical far outweighs my own. Kudos to all of those who participated!
8th grade parents, today is the last day for the ParentPortal window for course selection at AHS to be completed at home. If you missed the window – no worries! We sent home letters with the students on Thursday before break about our upcoming 8th grade meetings. At these meetings, we can change, add, edit or create course sections for high school. Please make sure that your child looks through the Program of Studies prior to their meeting so they have an idea about electives and back-up choices. If you are uncertain of your child’s meeting time (backpack express is not always reliable), call the Guidance Office and we can help.
This Coming Week at SMS:
Monday, January 12th: Teal Day
- 4:15 – 6:00 PM: 7th Grade Black Day Drama Classes Rehearsal
Tuesday, January 13th: Black Day
- 4:15 – 6:00 PM: 7th Grade Teal Day Classes Rehearsal
Wednesday, January 14th: Teal Day
- 9:00 AM – 12 PM: SMS Spelling Bee
- 1:15 – 1:45: AHS AVID recruitment meeting for interested 8th grade students
Thursday, January 15th: Black Day
- 7:00 – 9:00 PM: 7th Grade Drama performance in the Gathering Area
Friday, January 16th: Teal Day
- End of the Second Nine-Weeks / Semester 1
News for This Week:
- SUTHERLAND GIRLS VOLLEYBALL REGISTRATION: Girls volleyball registration forms are available on the table by the gathering area at Sutherland or on the Albemarle County Parks and Rec website: http://www.albemarle.org/department.asp?department=parks&relpage=2896. Spots are limited and it fills up fast so all girls interested in playing Sutherland Volleyball after school and competing with the other middle schools should turn in a form to the main office for Ms. Davis as soon as possible. See the registration form for more details.
- There will be an informational meeting about Reflections, the Governor’s School summer program for art next Tuesday, January 13th in the art room at 5:45. Students interested in applying and their parents are encouraged to attend. Examples of portfolios and program work will be shown. The meeting will take about 45 minutes.
- There will be an AVID Interest Meeting on Wednesday of this coming week for interested 8th grade students. We should have the AVID applications available soon. If your child has looked through the Program of Studies and is interested in the AVID program, please tell them to attend. We also just posted the AHS Leadership application on the SMS Counseling Website under the 8th grade information as well. As a reminder, all 8th grade applications (AVID, MESA, HMSA, ESA, and Leadership) are due January 30th.
Have a great weekend, Sharks!