A few notes from the first day (sorry to put so much in one e-mail):
- Students walking to school or those dropped off prior to 8:45 AM must come in through the school’s Main Office, sign in, and go to a supervised study hall in the cafeteria. Please note: this is a change in procedure from prior years.
- Auditions for the Girls and Boys Choirs will be held very soon! Girls’ choir auditions will be held on September 8th, 10th, and 11th. Boys’ choir auditions will be held on September 3rd and 4th. In order to audition, you MUST sign up outside of the choir room and pick up an information letter when you sign up.
- From Ms. McCullough regarding Destination Imagination (DI):
We are forming Destination Imagination teams here at Sutherland. If your child is interested in being on a team, they need to stop by room A-10 in the sixth grade hallway to pick up an application. Applications are due back to me by next Friday, August 29th. Students are being given this information via morning announcements and posters as well.
DI is a creative, problem solving, team-building competition. Students love it, as well as some adults who continue to volunteer year after year. In short, students work on a team using creativity and problem solving skills to accomplish a challenge. They are given several challenges to choose from and the team decides which one they want to do. They spend a good deal of time working between now and the competition (early spring) to prepare their solution for the judges. It very often involves a skit or some type of improvisation. It is a very exciting activity for kids of all ages.
At Sutherland, I try to find interested students early in the year so we can work on forming teams. A team is limited to 7 members and it depends on how many interested students we have as to how many teams form and who is on each team. This is a serious time commitment. Students meet before or after school hours usually at school or a team member’s home. The coach is a parent volunteer who has had DI coach training. For some students and coaches alike, DI is a serious commitment. To learn more, visit either of the following websites:
Please keep in mind that teams form early in order to begin work on their challenge. Some independent teams actually begin work in the summer. Therefore, the decision regarding participation needs to be made fairly quickly. I hope to have the team(s) formed by September 12th. Please turn in applications by August 29th to enable me to do this.
If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to call me at 975-0599 or email me at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Sutherland Parks and Rec Sports Information Albemarle County Parks and Rec after school basketball and tennis registration forms are available on the table by the gathering area at Sutherland or can be found on the Parks and Rec website under Athletics. http://www.albemarle.org/department.asp?department=parks&relpage=2896 The registrations are first come/first serve until full or reaches the deadline of Friday August 29th. Boys basketball will be on Mondays and Wednesday after school in the Sutherland gym and Girls basketball will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school in the gym beginning September 3rd through October 23rd. Pick up time for basketball is 5:45. More information can be found on the form. Tennis will be on Mondays and Wednesdays on the Sutherland tennis courts for boys and girls beginning on September 8th through October 15th.
Pick up time for tennis is 5:30.
Registration forms should be turned in to the main office for Ms. Davis.
Good afternoon, Sharks –
Just a quick note: tomorrow is the first day of school for the 2014/2015 school year. We had a wonderful time meeting those who came out to Open House this morning. Thank you for giving up part of your day to spend time with us here at SMS. We are very excited for the first day of school! Tomorrow will be a Black Day schedule. Students should report to their first block teacher at the start of the day. The first three days of school, we will run on a modified class schedule that will allow for an hour long homeroom in the morning. On the first day, students will be given their lockers, agendas and assorted paperwork for parents and/or guardians to fill out. This schedule will not affect morning drop off (9:00 AM) or pick up time (4:00 PM). Please also note those students with PE should bring appropriate attire (tennis shoes preferred).
We are very excited for tomorrow and cannot wait to see all of our students! Have a great evening and we will see you soon.
Cabell Guy and Lisa Wright
Attention SMS Parents and fellow Sharks –
First up, let me take a moment to introduce, or reintroduce, myself to you all. My name is Mr. Cabell Guy and I am replacing Mr. Schuyler here in Guidance this year. Many of you with children who have come through Sutherland will hopefully remember me as I have been here in Guidance for the last number of years. I will be working with students with the last names L – Z .
This afternoon, schedules for the 2014/2015 school year will become visible on Parent Portal. You should receive a county-wide e-mail alerting you to this as well. As a precaution, we did want to alert you to two items as schedules become visible:
- Many of our exploratory classes are full. We try to honor requests as best we can, but in some cases, students may not have received their first choice set of electives. This is often due to one elective taking priority over another or for a variety of other reasons. Due to class size, we will not make exploratory changes until after the tenth day of school. After ten days, our school roster is finalized and we are able to adjust classes. We are happy to try and “wait list” students until that time.
- If you have not yet signed up for Parent Portal, you will need to come to the school in person with a driver’s license or other form of photo ID. At that time, we can get you a copy of your user name and password and give you directions on how to sign on for your initial log-in.
It goes without saying that we are very excited to get this school year underway. We have had a lot of great changes over the summer and believe we are in for one terrific school year! Please remember we have our annual Open House on Tuesday, August 19th from 10 AM to 12 PM. At that time, students can come in, meet the teachers, see the building and walk their schedule. The first day of school will be a BLACK DAY schedule. We look forward to seeing everyone soon and hope you enjoy the last bit of summer!
Sutherland Middle School