The Sutherland Middle Functional Skills Special Education classroom is having a Fundraiser Night at Timberwood Grill tonight, October 29. Please come have dinner between 5PM and 9PM to support this classroom’s ability to help their students engage in their community.
Dear Parents and Guardians:
Just a reminder that we have a parent meeting from 6:00 – 7:00 PM tonight night in the Media Center regarding this summer’s Grand Canyon trip. Mr. Eddie Jones from Grand Classroom will be here to do a short presentation regarding the trip activities and will also be on hand for questions. The trip is scheduled for June 20th to June 24th. We hope you can come on out. For more information, please visit https://trips.grandclassroom.com/Trip/Index/Sutherland2015.
Mr. Guy & Mrs. Shiflett
Hey all, the yard sale help request went out last week without the Sign Up Genius link. Here is that link:
Good afternoon Sutherland Families,
SMS will be hosting our October PTO meeting, Monday, October 27 from 7:00-8:00pm in the Media Center. We would like to extend an invitation to attend a “Coffee and Conversation” with our Assistant Principal, Amy Morris and myself. This will take place prior to the PTO meeting in the media center from 6:30-7:00pm. We will give a brief overview of the beginning of school, discuss our 1:1 rollout and answer a few questions. If you are interested in attending we ask that you please RSVP to Jane Pritchett in the main office by 3:00pm on Monday, October 27. She may be reached at telephone number 975-0599.
Greetings, SMS families:
A bit early this week since there is no school for students tomorrow. There are several informational tidbits to get to, so I will jump right in. Today marks the last day of the first quarter. Hard as it is to believe, summer is now nine weeks behind us. The good work your children continue to produce is inspiring. I got the chance to watch the boys’ basketball teams take on Jouett last night and the girls played earlier this week. From academics to athletics, there is a lot of talent in the school! As we head into the second nine weeks, be prepared for things to heat up. Workloads tend to increase and schedules get tricky as snow days become frequent. Before we look at next week’s schedule, here are some news blurbs:
- From the PTO: We still need lots of volunteers to help on Friday night, November 7th, and Saturday, November 8th with our Yard Sale. Please see the sign up genius if you can help…. if you can only do an hour we will take you!! All volunteers are appreciated!! Thank you!!
- Parks and Rec after school opportunities at Sutherland: Registration forms are on the table by the gathering area at Sutherland for both Co-ed Flag Football and Girls Indoor field hockey/lacrosse. Both programs will be on Mondays after school from Nov 10th through January 12th. Registrations forms should be returned to the office for Ms. Davis for both programs by Friday Nov 7th. Interested students should pick up a form for more details.
- ICA activity period is next Friday Oct 31st from 3:00-4:00. The sign up will be on the Sutherland Webpage under the Student tab. Students should sign up for only ONE ICA activity with their first and last name and there is a question at the end for students to select their grade. (This will help with creating the lists.) The access code is the same as last time, 2801 (Sutherland’s address)
- The tennis team will have a match on Monday 10/27 at Western Albemarle High School in Crozet. A bus will take the team to Western after school but there is no return bus. Tennis players should have their parents pick them up at Western Albemarle in Crozet at 6:30 and bring tennis shirt, jacket, healthy snack, and water bottle. This match will conclude our tennis season.
Next Week’s Schedule:
Monday, October 27th: Teal Day
- Tiger Sharks Watershed field trip
- PTO meeting starting at 6:45 PM in the Media Center
Tuesday, October 28th: Black Day
- Grand Classroom (Grand Canyon trip) informational meeting at 6:00 PM in the Media Center
Wednesday, October 29th: Teal Day
Thursday, October 30th: Black Day
Friday, October 31st: Teal Day
- ICA Day schedule
Have a great long weekend, Sharks! See you on Monday!!!
Happy Friday, Sharks:
We have had a wonderful week here at Sutherland. The week started with our SCA elections. Students enjoyed hearing from the different candidates and voting for this year’s officers. A big shout out to those students who were elected into office for this year’s council. The SCA hosts a variety of activities throughout the year, so we are excited that we have a terrific team for 2014/2015. We have had students from Ms. Bergin’s class sing the Preamble to the Constitution on the WSMS news broadcast, 8th grade students rebuilding a dirt bike in Mr. Bredder’s Engineering class, a Band Booster meeting, and even an earthquake drill. Students are already excited for this afternoon’s dance from 4:00 – 6:00 PM. Things are starting to heat up in all the classes as we head towards the end of the first marking period, so we encourage parents and guardians to check ParentPortal regularly.
News and Notes:
- Parents can now register their child for the Grand Canyon trip this coming summer. The website for registration details can be found here: https://trips.grandclassroom.com/Trip/Index/Sutherland2015. The trip is open to all current 6th, 7th and 8th grade students. There will be a Parent meeting on October 28th at 6 PM here at Sutherland in the Library for parents to learn more about the trip.
- Monday is school picture day. If you order pictures online (https://my.lifetouch.com), you will need the payment code. That code is: SH124413Q1. Our school code is 68600.
- All Sutherland students will participate in a school climate survey starting next week. The survey is short, roughly 15 questions, and will help us measure a variety of topics, including; school safety, bullying, usage of online programs such as ParentPortal, Google Docs., and Blackboard, student-based research in classes, etc. If you would like to see a copy of this survey, a paper copy will be available in Guidance.
A few upcoming events for next week:
- Monday, October 20th: Teal Day. School picture day during PE.
- Tuesday, October 21st: Black Day
- Wednesday, October 22nd: Teal Day
- Thursday, October 23rd: Black Day. End of first nine weeks grading period. All assignments due in class.
- Friday, October 24th: No School for students. Teacher work-day.
One final note: Many of you may be aware of our highly successful design and engineering program now in its second year at our school. Students’ early work centered on use of such technology resources as 3D printers to re-create historical artifacts, such as the first working telegraph. This attracted the attention of the Smithsonian Museum, which is partnered with Sutherland for such projects as a leading edge math and science curriculum for middle schools across the country.
Recently a group of our students proposed a modernization of our engineering classroom and the addition of more technology and learning resources to broaden the benefits of the program.
Our students have enrolled this proposal on “Kickstarter,” which is a web-based application that invites contributions from donors around the country to fund innovative ideas. The cost of their project is $20,000 and funds must be raised within 30 days of listing, or by November 8.
The Kickstarter project, Maker Space, would benefit all of our students in all disciplines. It would encourage students to become producers, not just users, of technology and enable students to improve their creativity, critical thinking, teamwork and communications abilities. This in turn, will better prepare them for post-graduate success, whether in college or the workforce. For more information on the students’ proposal, visit:
Have a great weekend, Sharks! See you next week!
We are in urgent need of parents to volunteer for this Fridays 6th grade sponsored dance from 4-6 pm. Please email Andrea Walkup at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know if you are able to come and help for any period of time. At this point we only have five teachers and need any and all to come out to lend a hand.
Thank you so much for your consideration.
It’s time for the annual Sutherland Middle School Band cookie dough fundraising event! Sutherland Band Students are selling cookie dough right now to support the band! There are lots of different flavors all for $16 a tub. These are great to keep in your freezer and are handy during the holidays for cookie exchanges, quick gifts for neighbors and parties – for the favorite flavors they even come pre-portioned.
When: Already Started ** but this is a short event – all orders are due with payment by **Friday 17 October**
**Delivery will take place – mid November
Why: For every tub sold, your child will get $3 off the Spring 2015 trip to Busch Gardens for all Jazz Band and 8th grade band students. If they are not in Jazz Band or 8th grade band this year, the money will go into an account for their future trip.
Questions – please send me a note.
Thank you to all for your time and your support to the Sutherland Middle School Bands and Jazz Bands. Go Sharks!
Anita aka Sophie Bels’ mom
One last e-mail for the day, folks. Bus 31 + half of bus 16 will run about 20 minutes late today due to traffic. This includes all students who live off Gilbert Station, Doctor’s Crossing, Burnt Mills and Proffit Road. The bus just pulled away from Sutherland at 4:21. We apologize for the lateness.
Happy Friday, Sharks!
Throughout the week, students have been busy working on a variety of projects. All-County Choir was held this week, and our group did an outstanding job. We had a good turn out for the PE Department’s Walk-to-School Day and our Writer’s Eye field trip had a great experience at UVA. In short, it was a fast and furious week here at SMS with a lot of student engagement.
We have a few exciting things coming up here at SMS that should be touched on briefly:
- We administer a School Climate Survey to all students in grades 3-12 each year to guide our efforts and measure progress. Sutherland’s survey will be administered in the next week or two online in order for us to gather data on student engagement, school safety and see how we, as a school, are making progress towards our school-wide goals.
- More information on the Grand Canyon trip on June 20th – 24th: We are still looking for interested students in grades 6, 7 and 8 that would like to participate in a 5 day drip to the Grand Canyon this summer. Specifics about the trip can be found on the registration site or by viewing the announcement on the school’s website: https://trips.grandclassroom.com/Trip/Index/Sutherland2015
- We also have a Kickstarter campaign on the SMS website to look into. Created by the Engineering Department, SMS is trying to raise $20,000 to create a Makerspace. For more details, follow this link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smssharks/sutherland-makerspace
The upcoming week looks to be exciting as well. Here is this week’s upcoming schedule:
Monday, October 13th: Black Day
- SCA Elections
Tuesday, October 14th: Teal Day
- 6:30 – 7:30 PM: Band Boosters meeting in the Chorus room
Wednesday, October 15th: Black Day
Thursday, October 16th: Teal Day
Friday, October 17th: Black Day
- 4:00 – 6:00 PM: Dance!
Have a great weekend, Sharks!