It’s time for the annual Sutherland Middle School Band cookie dough fundraising event! Sutherland Band Students are selling cookie dough right now to support the band! There are lots of different flavors all for $16 a tub. These are great to keep in your freezer and are handy during the holidays for cookie exchanges, quick gifts for neighbors and parties – for the favorite flavors they even come pre-portioned.
When: Already Started ** but this is a short event – all orders are due with payment by **Friday 17 October**
**Delivery will take place – mid November
Why: For every tub sold, your child will get $3 off the Spring 2015 trip to Busch Gardens for all Jazz Band and 8th grade band students. If they are not in Jazz Band or 8th grade band this year, the money will go into an account for their future trip.
How: Find a Sutherland Band Student, contact me at email@example.com or Mr. Gregg at firstname.lastname@example.org or online at www.gaschoolstore.com//1106103 is the school code.
Questions – please send me a note.
Thank you to all for your time and your support to the Sutherland Middle School Bands and Jazz Bands. Go Sharks!
Anita aka Sophie Bels’ mom
One last e-mail for the day, folks. Bus 31 + half of bus 16 will run about 20 minutes late today due to traffic. This includes all students who live off Gilbert Station, Doctor’s Crossing, Burnt Mills and Proffit Road. The bus just pulled away from Sutherland at 4:21. We apologize for the lateness.
Happy Friday, Sharks!
Throughout the week, students have been busy working on a variety of projects. All-County Choir was held this week, and our group did an outstanding job. We had a good turn out for the PE Department’s Walk-to-School Day and our Writer’s Eye field trip had a great experience at UVA. In short, it was a fast and furious week here at SMS with a lot of student engagement.
We have a few exciting things coming up here at SMS that should be touched on briefly:
- We administer a School Climate Survey to all students in grades 3-12 each year to guide our efforts and measure progress. Sutherland’s survey will be administered in the next week or two online in order for us to gather data on student engagement, school safety and see how we, as a school, are making progress towards our school-wide goals.
- More information on the Grand Canyon trip on June 20th – 24th: We are still looking for interested students in grades 6, 7 and 8 that would like to participate in a 5 day drip to the Grand Canyon this summer. Specifics about the trip can be found on the registration site or by viewing the announcement on the school’s website: https://trips.grandclassroom.com/Trip/Index/Sutherland2015
- We also have a Kickstarter campaign on the SMS website to look into. Created by the Engineering Department, SMS is trying to raise $20,000 to create a Makerspace. For more details, follow this link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smssharks/sutherland-makerspace
The upcoming week looks to be exciting as well. Here is this week’s upcoming schedule:
Monday, October 13th: Black Day
Tuesday, October 14th: Teal Day
- 6:30 – 7:30 PM: Band Boosters meeting in the Chorus room
Wednesday, October 15th: Black Day
Thursday, October 16th: Teal Day
Friday, October 17th: Black Day
Have a great weekend, Sharks!
SMS 4th Annual Yard Sale on Saturday NOVEMBER 8th!!
Start cleaning out your closets, attics, garages, etc. Your “junk” may be another person’s treasure! Please consider donating new or gently used items to our yard sale such as, but not limited to: Clothes, shoes, bikes, books, toys, furniture,electronics, jewelry, housewares ,etc.
DROP OFF at the Sutherland cafeteria will be Friday, November 7th 5-8!!
We need volunteers Friday November 7th from 5-9 (or if you can only do an hour or two we want you!!) to sort through and organize all the goodies!!
SATURDAY November 8th 8-1 (if you can only do an hour or so we want you!!)
Please email email@example.com if you can volunteer or if you have any questions.Thanks!!
Hello SMS Parents –
We have more information about a potential trip I mentioned in last week’s Friday Message. Ms. Shiflett and I are trying to gauge the interest in a school trip to the Grand Canyon this coming summer. The five day trip would run from June 20th – June 24th. The five day trip is organized by Grand Classroom, a local company that offers a variety of educational trips. For interested parents, there will be a parent meeting on October 28th from 6 – 7 PM in the SMS Library. I have included a link to the interest survey for parents that are interested in learning more. We are hoping to get roughly 20 – 30 students from Sutherland to attend the trip. We have opened the trip to all three grade levels since it is such an exciting opportunity. Feel free to call me here at SMS or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. I have also uploaded an information sheet regarding trip specifics to the website. Both can be found here:
- Interest survey: http://goo.gl/forms/u4ZmVmgFha
- Informational Flyer: http://www2.k12albemarle.org/school/SMS/Documents/Grand%20Canyon%20Trip.pdf
- Paper copies can be obtained here at school in the Guidance Office.
Thanks and see some of you tonight at Parent/Teacher Conferences.
Happy Friday, Shark Family –
As predicted, this was another fast and furious week. We had a great turn out last night for our first round of Parent / Teacher conferences. It was great to see so many of you come out to meet with the staff. A big thank you goes out to the PTO for providing us with a terrific pasta dinner. We have a slew of informational items included in this e-mail, so I will keep this part of the message short and sweet. Here is this week’s schedule and then some items of interest:
Monday, October 6th: Teal Day
Tuesday, October 7th: Black Day
- All-County Choir field trip
- Strings picture day
- 4:30 – 8:00 PM: Parent / Teacher Conferences round two
Wednesday, October 8th: Teal Day
- National Walk To School day (see below for information)
Thursday, October 9th: Black Day
Friday, October 10th: Teal Day
- NATIONAL WALK TO SCHOOL DAY, WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 8TH Sutherland is planning to participate in the National Walk to school day next Wed Oct 8th. Students are encouraged to walk to school with a buddy and those who live too far to walk can be dropped off at North Forest Lakes pool and tennis courts or South Forest Lakes pool at 8:40 to walk with other students. Some parents and teachers will be there to walk too! PTO is providing snacks outside for walkers as they arrive at school. Thanks PTO!
- BOYS AND GIRLS BASKETBALL GAME SCHEDULES are now posted on Sutherland’s web page under athletics. Players will know what team they play on that corresponds to the times of the games.
- SUTHERLAND TENNIS has 2 matches: Oct 8th at AHS and Oct 15th at WAHS. An information letter with all the details was given out in practice and any tennis player who missed practice can get the information next practice.
- Grand Canyon Trip: Finally, we are gauging the interest level among our families for a school trip to the Grand Canyon this coming summer early in vacation. Ideally, we are looking for 30 students for a 5 day trip out west with Grand Classrooms. The trip is costly, roughly $1900 per student, but would be an awesome educational experience. We are in the very early stages of planning this trip, but before we go do deep into the planning stage, we wanted to get a sense of interest. The trip would be open to all 3 grades and would have a strong focus on outdoor education/science. For a bit more information and a brief survey, please click here: http://goo.gl/forms/u4ZmVmgFha
Thanks all and I hope you have a terrific weekend!
Have you heard of the Conference Room Management Team? Well, to raise money they are having a bake sale here at Sutherland! The bake sale will start Monday next week! It will take place every morning of next week from 8:45 to 9:00! They will be selling lots of goodies all for only one dollar! Be sure and get to school 15 minutes early so you can get some treats! The team hopes to see you there!
Just about done with another great week here at Sutherland! Last week, we had our first dance. The students brought a LOT of energy to the table and I am sure were still wound up afterwards. A big thank you to our parent volunteers who came out and assisted in selling concessions or helped chaperone. Our first interim period came to an end last Friday as well, so grades should be rolling in through ParentPortal. We have our first ICA schedule today, so classes are shortened to make room for an extended recess from 3:00 – 4:00 PM. Students will be spread out all over our campus as they participate in kickball, nature hikes, crafts, and other assorted activities. A few items for your radar coming up:
- Monday, September 29th: No school for students. This is a teacher work day, so the staff will be here, but your kids get to sleep in.
- Tuesday, September 30th will be a Teal day when students return.
- Thursday, October 2nd:
- All-County Orchestra trip for selected students…see Ms. Finnegan for details
- 4:30 – 8:00 PM Parent-Teacher Conferences. There are still a few spots available on the Sign-Up Genius http://www2.k12albemarle.org/school/SMS/Documents/Conference%20Directions.pdf
The next two weeks are busy one, Sharks, so keep an eye on the SMS homepage for more news about upcoming events. Have a great weekend!
A few students at the school have expressed interest in beginning a Chess Club here at Sutherland. Students would meet before or after school for about an hour once a week.
I am seeking a parent volunteer to run this club and to give the students instruction on how to improve their chess playing skills. We could arrange a mini chess tournament towards the end of the year.
If you are interested in helping us out or have any questions, please contact me so we can meet and discuss.
Sutherland Middle School