Greetings Sutherland Families! Our first dance of the year will be held on Friday, September 19th from 4 – 6pm.
We need parent volunteers to sell tickets, concessions, and supervise various dance zones. If you are able to help out that evening, please email Anne Bergin at aberginK12albemarle.org with the times you are available and your assignment preferences, if any.
Good afternoon, Shark families!
What an amazing first week of school! Summer may be drawing to a close, but students have settled right back into the school routine very quickly. We have seen a lot of exciting work taking place here at SMS already. Scavenger hunts, 3D printing, literature circles…the students and staff have jumped right back in to their school work. Just standing outside the 8th grade Orchestra classroom this week and listening to their performance already has been inspiring. It has been a terrific opening for this school year! A special thank you goes out to our Sutherland PTO for proving a terrific breakfast for the faculty this morning. You all rock!
A few notes about this upcoming week, as there are many events planned.
- Monday, September 1st is Labor Day. All schools will be closed. When we return on Tuesday, it will be a BLACK DAY schedule.
- On Tuesday, September 2nd, there will be a Band Boosters meeting starting at 6:30 PM.
- On Wednesday, September 3rd, we have multiple school events:
- The 7th and 8th grade students will start MAP testing. MAP tests are nationally-normed, computer-adaptive assessment used in many US school districts. Students will take MAP tests in both Math and Language Arts classes starting this week and running through September 12th.
- Jazz Band auditions will take place starting at 8:00 AM.
- Boys’ Choir auditions will start at 8:15 AM.
- Girls’ YWLP (Young Women Leaders Program) first meeting from 4:00 – 6:00 PM
Thursday, September 4th:
- Boys’ Choir Auditions from 4:15 – 5:30 PM. Students must sign up for an audition time and pick up information about the audition in the choir room.
- Back-To-School Night at SMS from 6:30 – 8:30 PM. Come on out to hear some information from administration and from guidance. You will have a chance to talk to your child’s teachers about the first few days of school and to sign up for Parent/Teacher Conferences.
A final note: Thank you all for making this a great start to our year! We know getting your child back into the school routine is not always an easy task, but the students have done a great job adjusting to their new schedules, new teachers, new lunch times, etc. We thank you for all of your hard work. Have a great long weekend!
Mark your calendars for SMS 4th Annual Yard Sale on Saturday NOVEMBER 8th!!
DONATIONS NEEDED!! Start cleaning out your closets, attics, garages, etc. Your “junk” may be another person’s treasure! Please consider donating new or gently used items to our yard sale (drop off date: November 7th more detailed info to come!) such as, but not limited to: Clothes, shoes, bikes, books, toys, furniture,electronics, jewelry, housewares ,etc.
questions? Contact Lynette Sanford firstname.lastname@example.org
Sutherland Middle School Parks and Rec Sports Information update: The registration for boys basketball has filled up today. Girls basketball and tennis registrations are still open. Visit the Albemarle CountyParks and Rec website for more informaton at http://www.albemarle.org/department.asp?department=parks&relpage=2896 There is also information on other sports opportunities on the Parks and Rec website: http://www.albemarle.org/upload/images/forms_center/departments/Parks_and_Recreation/forms/AreaSportsLeagues2013_2014.pdf
Do you love art?
Whether you are currently enrolled in an art class or not, you can join art club!
Club meetings will be after school until 5:15 on either Wednesday or Thursday (depending on your grade level and interest).
Please come by the art room or guidance to get an application to join, or come talk to Ms. Schneider for more information.
If you just can’t wait to get started on art, or you have a project that you didn’t finish last year, or you are working on a project for another class and need a little input from Ms. Schneider….you should come to Morning Studio!
The Art Room will be available every morning from 8:15 until 9:00 for students to work independently or collaboratively.
Please check the calendar outside the Art Room door for days that Ms. Schneider will NOT be here!
Hello Sutherland Parents,
As many of you already know, Ms. Schneider’s 8th grade art students write and film original movies for the Sutherland Film Festival every year. This has become quite a Sutherland tradition. I have a Film Club that meets before school where students not taking art have the opportunity to do the same. In addition to this, teachers are incorporating visual media into their daily class routines allowing students to create movies for projects.
Three years ago, I wrote a grant and we were lucky enough to purchase video cameras, mics, headphones, boom pole, lighting kit and so forth. However, daily use is taking its toll and we are in need of more filming equipment. Ms. Schneider and I wanted to touch base with the community of Sutherland parents to see if anyone could help us out.
If filming is your hobby and you are updating to new equipment, please keep Sutherland in mind as a place to donate the old equipment. Any type of equipment is welcome.
If you know of an organization/retailer that might be able to help us with discounts or donations, please let us know that as well.
Thank you for any and all help!
A few notes from the first day (sorry to put so much in one e-mail):
- Students walking to school or those dropped off prior to 8:45 AM must come in through the school’s Main Office, sign in, and go to a supervised study hall in the cafeteria. Please note: this is a change in procedure from prior years.
- Auditions for the Girls and Boys Choirs will be held very soon! Girls’ choir auditions will be held on September 8th, 10th, and 11th. Boys’ choir auditions will be held on September 3rd and 4th. In order to audition, you MUST sign up outside of the choir room and pick up an information letter when you sign up.
- From Ms. McCullough regarding Destination Imagination (DI):
We are forming Destination Imagination teams here at Sutherland. If your child is interested in being on a team, they need to stop by room A-10 in the sixth grade hallway to pick up an application. Applications are due back to me by next Friday, August 29th. Students are being given this information via morning announcements and posters as well.
DI is a creative, problem solving, team-building competition. Students love it, as well as some adults who continue to volunteer year after year. In short, students work on a team using creativity and problem solving skills to accomplish a challenge. They are given several challenges to choose from and the team decides which one they want to do. They spend a good deal of time working between now and the competition (early spring) to prepare their solution for the judges. It very often involves a skit or some type of improvisation. It is a very exciting activity for kids of all ages.
At Sutherland, I try to find interested students early in the year so we can work on forming teams. A team is limited to 7 members and it depends on how many interested students we have as to how many teams form and who is on each team. This is a serious time commitment. Students meet before or after school hours usually at school or a team member’s home. The coach is a parent volunteer who has had DI coach training. For some students and coaches alike, DI is a serious commitment. To learn more, visit either of the following websites:
Please keep in mind that teams form early in order to begin work on their challenge. Some independent teams actually begin work in the summer. Therefore, the decision regarding participation needs to be made fairly quickly. I hope to have the team(s) formed by September 12th. Please turn in applications by August 29th to enable me to do this.
If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to call me at 975-0599 or email me at <email@example.com>.
Sutherland Parks and Rec Sports Information Albemarle County Parks and Rec after school basketball and tennis registration forms are available on the table by the gathering area at Sutherland or can be found on the Parks and Rec website under Athletics. http://www.albemarle.org/department.asp?department=parks&relpage=2896 The registrations are first come/first serve until full or reaches the deadline of Friday August 29th. Boys basketball will be on Mondays and Wednesday after school in the Sutherland gym and Girls basketball will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school in the gym beginning September 3rd through October 23rd. Pick up time for basketball is 5:45. More information can be found on the form. Tennis will be on Mondays and Wednesdays on the Sutherland tennis courts for boys and girls beginning on September 8th through October 15th.
Pick up time for tennis is 5:30.
Registration forms should be turned in to the main office for Ms. Davis.
Good afternoon, Sharks –
Just a quick note: tomorrow is the first day of school for the 2014/2015 school year. We had a wonderful time meeting those who came out to Open House this morning. Thank you for giving up part of your day to spend time with us here at SMS. We are very excited for the first day of school! Tomorrow will be a Black Day schedule. Students should report to their first block teacher at the start of the day. The first three days of school, we will run on a modified class schedule that will allow for an hour long homeroom in the morning. On the first day, students will be given their lockers, agendas and assorted paperwork for parents and/or guardians to fill out. This schedule will not affect morning drop off (9:00 AM) or pick up time (4:00 PM). Please also note those students with PE should bring appropriate attire (tennis shoes preferred).
We are very excited for tomorrow and cannot wait to see all of our students! Have a great evening and we will see you soon.
Cabell Guy and Lisa Wright
Attention SMS Parents and fellow Sharks –
First up, let me take a moment to introduce, or reintroduce, myself to you all. My name is Mr. Cabell Guy and I am replacing Mr. Schuyler here in Guidance this year. Many of you with children who have come through Sutherland will hopefully remember me as I have been here in Guidance for the last number of years. I will be working with students with the last names L – Z .
This afternoon, schedules for the 2014/2015 school year will become visible on Parent Portal. You should receive a county-wide e-mail alerting you to this as well. As a precaution, we did want to alert you to two items as schedules become visible:
- Many of our exploratory classes are full. We try to honor requests as best we can, but in some cases, students may not have received their first choice set of electives. This is often due to one elective taking priority over another or for a variety of other reasons. Due to class size, we will not make exploratory changes until after the tenth day of school. After ten days, our school roster is finalized and we are able to adjust classes. We are happy to try and “wait list” students until that time.
- If you have not yet signed up for Parent Portal, you will need to come to the school in person with a driver’s license or other form of photo ID. At that time, we can get you a copy of your user name and password and give you directions on how to sign on for your initial log-in.
It goes without saying that we are very excited to get this school year underway. We have had a lot of great changes over the summer and believe we are in for one terrific school year! Please remember we have our annual Open House on Tuesday, August 19th from 10 AM to 12 PM. At that time, students can come in, meet the teachers, see the building and walk their schedule. The first day of school will be a BLACK DAY schedule. We look forward to seeing everyone soon and hope you enjoy the last bit of summer!
Sutherland Middle School