Friday Message 10/5/18
From Ms. Wood: This week was a great week at Sutherland. We saw more than two days without rain and students enjoyed their time outside for recess! We celebrated our August and September birthdays with cupcakes and popsicles.
In addition, several of our students have had opportunities to participate in attending field trips this week. Our entire 8th grade had the wonderful opportunity to see Kwame Alexander an award winning author of children’s literature and poetry. Students visited Albemarle High School to listen to him speak and engage in a question and answer session. Many of his titles are available in our library including The Crossover, Booked, Rebound and Out of Wonder, The Playbook, and Swing. Additionally, we had some students visit Writer’s Eye and we had a smaller group of students who visited Northrop Grumman.
Also, we hosted our annual book fair last week and this week. Several students have visited the library and we have used the proceeds to purchase over 24 new books for our library collections. We are planning on using the remaining funds to create a student library council to make book recommendations and library programming suggestions.
I wanted to take the time to thank you all of the parents who helped support this our book fair and provided us dinner for parent conference night.
I hope everyone has a great weekend and is able to continue to enjoy the wonderful weather!
Megan Wood, Principal
Coming Up @ Sutherland…
Monday, October 8th: Teal Day
5:00 PM: SMS Tennis v. Henley
Tuesday, October 9th: Black Day
Tech tour field trip
4:30 – 8:00 PM: Parent/Teacher Conferences (Round 2)
Wednesday, October 10th: Teal Day
8th grade AVID to JMU
5:00 PM: Boys Basketball v. Burley (home game)
5:00 PM: SMS Tennis v. Burley
Thursday, October 11th: Black Day
5:00 PM: Girls Basketball v. Burley (home game)
Friday, October 12th: Teal Day
Matriccino English 7 to UVA for Writer’s Eye
4:00 – 6:00 PM: Dance!
- Holiday season is coming soon. If you or your child is in need of assistance for either Thanksgiving, Christmas, or the holiday season, please contact your child’s counselor.
- We have a Fall Dance coming up on October 12th and need a few brave chaperones to help out in the gym and the cafeteria. Dance shoes not required. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080D4BAFAB2FA2F85-oct12th
- SMS Chess Club Volunteer Needed: Our chess club volunteer (a graduate student at UVA) will not be able to be with us this fall. We are in need of a replacement. If you are a chess player and would like to work with our students on Thursday mornings before school from 8:00-9:00, please contact Mrs. McCullough at email@example.com or 434-975-0599 ext. 53501. She can also answer any questions you may have.
- We need your books! Each year, Mrs. Benham’s homeroom does a book drive to help out the Toy Lift. Donated books need to be in good shape. All homerooms have a donation box where students may drop of their donations. Thanks!
- This Monday, October 8, join us for our first restaurant fundraiser: Timberwood Grill from 4:30pm-11:00pm! All you have to do is eat, drink, and be merry, and they will donate a portion of the total night’s profits to the PTO!
- Can you make soup or gluten-free soup? If so, we need just two more crock pots full for this Tuesday’s (October 9) teacher conference dinners! Sign up here: https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/5080d4bafab2fa2f85-sms1
- Get Your Attractions Coupon Books! We’re halfway to our goal, so please share the online links with friends and family!
*Purchase your books online: https://www.attractionsbook.com/ezpay/code/6652
*See the list of merchants/savings: https://www.attractionsbook.com/store/view/savings/p/3158/Charlottesville+2019
*Remember to use EZ code 6652 for Sutherland, and enter the student’s name so he/she can get a free book after selling 5!
8. BOX TOPS! SCA needs your box tops. Please have your student bring in Box Tops to their Chomps. We are collecting until the 26th.