Dear Western Families,
I hope all of you had a restful few days away from school. We gear up with three busy weeks ahead before winter break. As I am sure you are aware, our exams this year will be administered before break. While we will still have a few weeks left in the first semester after we return in January, we feel that moving the exams prior to break provides a work-free time for both our students and staff over the holidays. I’ve provided a copy of the exam schedule below.
As always, please don’t hesitate to let us know if we can assist you in any way.
Darah Bonham, Principal
#TWB — Together We Are Better
Tiny House Info
- Tiny House Meetup: —come to the Tiny House meetup on Sunday December 3rd at 3pm and meet with people who are currently living tiny or interested in it. Visitors can tour the WAHS Tiny House.
- Tiny House kids: —the entire 3rd grade at Hollymead is coming to visit the tiny house on November 30th during 1st period as a culmination to their work on tiny houses. They will rotate through stations showcasing different programs at WAHS:
- Tiny House tour with the students who built it
- Present third grade designs to our Architecture class (those students previously presented their ideas to architects who are working on the school redesign)
- Learn how to make a house green with ESA
- Build gingerbread houses with Teachers for Tomorrow
Mini Med School:
- Pegasus will land at the WAHS driving range at 8 am on Friday, December 1st. The Mini Med students will visit the helicopter and learn about emergency medicine. After that they will go to UVA Hospital to visit the Simulation lab and the Anatomy Lab. This is the culmination to a series of hands-on workshops with professionals in the field. Many thanks to Caroline Bertrand, Frank Lawson, and Carla Tacy for making this happen for our students.
The Fall Art Show is going on now through Dec. 11 at the Crozet Library. About 50 WAHS students have artwork on display, and all Visual Arts disciplines are participating. We have work from art, ceramics, crafts, digital media, and photography students. Many thanks to the talented Brandan Allen for the creation of the promotional image below.
Albemarle County is participating again this year in the national Speak Up survey! Speak Up, a national research project facilitated by Project Tomorrow, provides an easy way for students, parents, and educators to share their views on technology and learning with Albemarle County Schools. Your input informs our decisions about technology, as well as contributes to the national dialogue about educational technology. We encourage students, teachers, and parents to participate, as we use this data in policy-making and budget decisions.
To take the survey, visit
use: acps for code.
Samsung Solve for Tomorrow contest announced state finalists and WAHS Ceramics teacher Laura Chatterson is one of the five from Virginia. The contest focuses on how students can solve real-world issues via STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and design, and math). Her project proposal involves the use of ceramics to address water and stream contamination problems in the Western Albemarle region. Working with ESA, students will start brainstorming creative approaches. To learn more about the contest: http://www.samsung.com/us/solvefortomorrow/.
Here are Mrs. Chatterson’s ceramics students at the UVA engineering school meeting with graduate students working with Dr. Jim Smith on Ceramic and colloidal silver water filters.
Auditions for the WAHS Spring musical, Legally Blonde, will take place Mon- Thursday Nov. 27- 30th. The cast list goes up Friday Dec. 1st! Shows are March 15, 16, and 17th, 2018.
Jacob Chang-Rascle won an honorable mention in photography and a merit award in cinematic arts in the National Young Arts Awards. He is eligible to attend a Young Arts event in Miami this February for a week long workshop with renowned Photographers.
WAHS AVID will be holding 2 fundraising events in a December to support it’s overnight college visits in Northern Virginia in January. Support WAHS AVID December 11 at Chic-fil-a Waynesboro from 5-8 pm….and…. Sign up at https://www.groupraise.com/events/44347 to participate in the Jason’s Deli fundraising night on December 19.
All 7 of the students that auditioned for All-District Chorus in November were accepted. These 7 students will prepare their music over the next few months and will attend the All-District Chorus festival in February at Fluvanna County High School. Congrats to our talented singers below.
WAHS history classes working on Innovators’ Challenge grant, studying monuments, memorials, and community were featured in the following article
Thanks to JCL sponsor and Latin Teacher Julie Anne Herrick for supporting WAHS’s first group of Latin students to attend the state Junior Classical League Convention. Students earned the following awards! Students heard several lectures about Roman medicine, Roman coins, Daily Life in Ancient Rome, and Roman Magic given by some of Virginia’s leading Latin and Greek professors. They attended a dance, Karaoke, and many, many more activities. Congrats to all of our participants.
-From the Twitter Feed
* Subscribe to Zoe Padron’s “Thursday Round Up” by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mrs. Padron is our Gifted Resource Teacher at Western and provides a great weekly resource for students and parents about college opportunities, scholarship info, and much more. You can also access the Round Up through the link HERE.
*Subscribe to the Daily Announcements HERE
Announcements are posted each morning and read to the student body via PA or video stream. Community members can get an automated email each day from subscribing to this post.
* School Counseling Link
For SAT/ACT Testing information please visit:https://www2.k12albemarle.org/school/WAHS/counseling/Testing%20Dates/SAT%20ACT%20PSAT%20Test%20Dates%202016.pdf
For upcoming College Visits please visit: https://www2.k12albemarle.org/school/WAHS/counseling/Pages/Visiting-Colleges.aspx
For up to date Scholarship Information please visit:https://www2.k12albemarle.org/school/WAHS/counseling/Pages/Scholarships.aspx