I hope everyone enjoyed their spring break. I can’t wait to see our staff and students tomorrow as we begin the last quarter of the year. For those families of seniors, perhaps you are trying to slow down the last few weeks of your child’s high school career …… or speed it up. Regardless, these next two months will be busy as ever and will fly by. I like to think that the journey is often more important than the destination.
Below you will see some important information about events and activities at the school. Soon we will publish our end of the year assessment calendar including exams. Look for that this week.
Feel free to let me know how we can continue to support your child.
Darah Bonham, Principal
#TWB — Together We Are Better
-Congratulations to all students who competed at the Regional History Day Competition on March 6th. The following students advanced to VA History Day on April 21st in Richmond after placing 1st and 2nd:
- Sydney Dell – Night Witches: The Forgotten Heroines of the Soviet Union
- Isabelle Jordan – Eva Perón: The Fault in Society and the Compromises it Causes
- Ben Life, Josiah Luftig – The Good Friday Agreement: A Peaceful End to Generations of Conflict in Ireland
- Teddy Bird, Ryan Ortengren, William Peritz- The Liberation of Mongolia
- Caitlyn Driver, Molly Gobble, Natalie Raab- Aphra Behn: Compromising Identity to Future Female Playwrights
- Chloe Kienzle, Eva Massarell- British Suffrage and the 1918 Representation of the People Act
- Jane Servine, Isobel Williamson – Finding Compromise in Conflict: The Geneva Convention of 1864
- Jenna Malyn – Lost Australia: Decades of Aboriginal Oppression & Assimilation
- Rosemary Dougherty-Herrmann – The Impact of Antibiotics and Antiseptics in the Increasing Survival Rates of Cesarean Sections
- Jeida Brooks, Grace Berigan, Ineke La Fleur – The Mandela Effect: How Apartheid Impacted South Africa
- Liza Trundle, William Mitchell, Emma Wayne – Anti Semitism in Dreyfus Affair
The tiny house classes at WAHS need your help! We are planning a yard sale for April 28. Please go through items in your house that are in good condition that you are willing to donate and bring them to the shop (A107). We may be able to pick up furniture for you if necessary, let us know what you have. To coordinate, please email Myra Key, email@example.com, or call her or Mr. Matheny at school. Thank you! The tiny house classes appreciate your support.
Please join us in congratulating Ms. Sandy Keyser as our 2018 Golden Apple Award Winner.
Our “Best Western” trivia team of Dan Bledsoe, Lani Hoza, and Jill Williams will participate for the fourth consecutive year in this April’s Wordplay competition benefiting the Literacy Volunteers of Charlottesville/Albemarle. Please consider supporting their efforts to fight illiteracy in our area by attending the event on Thursday, April 19 at 7:00 PM at the Paramount and/or by donating using this link: https://literacyforall.donorpages.com/Wordplay2018/BestWestern/
AP Exam Information:
Remaining balances for AP exam fees are due by May 1, 2018 and can be paid in the Counseling Office before school, during TAB, and at lunch.
If you have decided to cancel your AP exams, please come by and let Ms. Davis know so you can be taken off of the exam roster. Otherwise, please be aware that any student who does not pay their exam fees in full by May 1st will not be admitted to testing.
If you have questions, please see Ms. Barnes in the Counseling Office.
-From the Twitter Feed
* Subscribe to Zoe Padron’s “Thursday Round Up” by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mrs. Padron is our Gifted Resource Teacher at Western and provides a great weekly resource for students and parents about college opportunities, scholarship info, and much more. You can also access the Round Up through the link HERE.
*Subscribe to the Daily Announcements HERE
Announcements are posted each morning and read to the student body via PA or video stream. Community members can get an automated email each day from subscribing to this post.
* School Counseling Link
For SAT/ACT Testing information please visit:https://www2.k12albemarle.org/school/WAHS/counseling/Testing%20Dates/SAT%20ACT%20PSAT%20Test%20Dates%202016.pdf
For upcoming College Visits please visit: https://www2.k12albemarle.org/school/WAHS/counseling/Pages/Visiting-Colleges.aspx
For up to date Scholarship Information please visit:https://www2.k12albemarle.org/school/WAHS/counseling/Pages/Scholarships.aspx